New to me 99 LX 470 driveshaft noise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, if anyone knows of a prior thread please respond. This is a hard one to look up and I have tried and did learn a few things to check.

I have purchased a 99 LX 470 to join the family as a surprise Christmas gift for my 16 year old. 235,000 miles and a great maintenance history and timing belt done just 30,000 miles ago as well as most other items like valve cover gaskets, spark plugs and normal stuff. I just had my shop grease the drive shaft, u joints and all bearings as it has been sitting for about 6 months. AHC also works well....so far so good!

Here is the issue. When sitting in the drivers seat and you take off you can hear a the drive shaft (I think) spinning and rubbing against something like a clicking as it spins. More like metal rubbing against metal. As you get faster you cannot really hear it but at slow speeds you can.

Here is what I know to check so far and will be checking on Saturday when I have time. It is as my brothers shop since it is a secret so I am limited in getting to work on it.
1. driveshaft could be rubbing against the heat shield
2. brake could be rubbing against a heat shield or rock stuck in there. Previous owner did use it just on his hunting land and it was caked in mud still from last season. Some people.....
3. would a U joint make a metal against metal sound if it was greased properly?

I will be able to get under it or next to it and let him drive the truck to see if I can pinpoint it but it sounds from inside like it is right below the middle seat area.

Has anyone had this issue and is there something else I should check or be listening for. The shop said the left front bearing will need to be replaced but the greased it again and I do not believe this is where the noise is coming from due to hearing it in the car with the windows up from the rear area.

Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. Once I have worked some magic on the LX I will post some photos of before and after. Should turn out nice.

Thanks in advance....Shawn

Thanks....I will know more once I can be the one outside of it while it is in gear. CV were replaced at some point and no leaking or dry rot yet.

Sounds like loose lug nut, missing anti-rattle clip on caliper, or bad CV joint.

Sounds like loose lug nut, missing anti-rattle clip on caliper, or bad CV joint.
Thanks for the opinion...I will check those out. Don't think it is a loose lug nut as the noise was there before they pulled the wheels off yesterday and put them back on.

+1 on the anti-rattle clip. Mine made a horrible squealing noise. turned out the clip was snapped in half and dragging on the rotor. Also, aside from the lug nuts, one of the easiest things to check.

UPDATE: Drove the truck after parking it right after getting everything greased. Had about a 35 to 40 minute drive where it is being stored so I can work on it in secret. Good news is that it did not make any noises in the second drive since getting it greased. I will drive it again this weekend but maybe it just needed to be driven since it sat for over 6 months before i got it. I will update again after driving it just to make sure.

While you may have just needed to have the surface rust on the brakes from sitting get worked off, I’ve had the heat shield rubbing issue before. For me it was the rear, and you could hear it specifically on turns. You can check this by driving slowly with the windows down around a 20 mile an hour turn, one left, one right turn. There are four tabs on these heat shields that the fsm states to lube. That didn’t exactly work for me, which may have been because I was using LX rotors on an LC or possibly because the rear axle had a tiny bit of play, or the rusty nature of that truck, but the grinder was my friend in the situation.

Personally, I have not ever had any scraping noises from anything related to the drive shaft, nor lubing the driveshaft. That has to be done every oil change on these and it helps with some driveline slack that can develop due to no lube in the required areas. That grease acts as a nice cushion.

And just for clarities sake, this is not something that you would hear from depressing the brake, its just the flex between the rotor and the axle shield. No need to press the brake to hear what I’m talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom