New to me '97 LX450 - Headlight Gremlin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been reading articles on headlights here lately and can't seem to find my specific issue.

Just picked up a 450 and have been sorting through to find all the hidden issues. My headlights are acting weird.

Scenario:

1) Light stalk off: no lights - stalk pulled manually lights high beam
2) Light stalk 1st setting: parking lights on only
3) Light stalk on headlamps: High beam on, low beam on and high beam indicator on
  • Stalk is not pushed forward to high beam activation
4) Light stalk pushed forward to high beam: high beam on and high beam indicator on, low beam on.

Any ideas why the high beams fire on the low beam activation?

Fuses looked good. The headlamp relay clicks as it is still activating as expected. Bulbs appeared to be good- but why is the high beam on with the low beam setting.

I hate electrical...sigh.

Last edited:
Likely an issue with the stalk switch. Low beams are positively switched, high beams are ground switched through the stalk. If the highs are on with the switch in the low position, the switch is grounding pin 12 when it shouldn't be.

Headlight.JPG

Additionally, inspect the wiring at the globes and see if it’s been modified. There is a change the PO has messed around installing LEDs and tried to return the vehicle to stock to sell.

as above, could also be the headlight switch...

Funny. Just getting back to this after a head gasket failure! But...I now need to fix this to get my truck safety inspected.

An update from where it was:

I still get both high and low beams on at the low beam position.

I've replaced the relay under the hood and the pricey one in the DS kick panel.

I did find tracing back all the wiring that the PO modified the high beam connection. I pulled it all back to the r/w, r/y wiring and then installed a Slee upgraded harness.
IMG_20220422_124642.jpg

Still same issue.

Pulled the steering wheel and toyed with the light stalk a bit. I found that if I slightly pull the lever, the high beams go off. Pushing fwd activates the high beam and pulling all the way towards driver activated the high beam.

I took off the 2 screws holding the stalk on (and quickly chased the little ball bearing that launched out).

PXL_20220422_183457367.jpg

Nothing seems bent...but I suppose I need to modify the bearing cradle to rest in that "dead spot" where the highs turn off??!

Anyone experience this before?

I've rigged it for now by wrapping the lever with painters tape to take up the slack

PXL_20220422_200123235.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom