New (to me) 97 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Looking at a 97 LX. No, not white unfortunately. Anyway, here's the data:

131000 miles, no damage history. Owned by two :princess: in last 13 years. First owner kept for 77000 miles, second owner for the rest. Always serviced at a lexus dealer. In Columbus Ohio so I doubt they EVER went off-road.

Carfax is clean.

Lexus service records (excluding the normal service checks/oil changes):

9 pages but nothing significant until:

82K, code P0401, check engine light, egr valve, actuator and VSV replaced.

95K, belts replaced, brakes done, starter replaced.

100K, rear oil seal replaced, rear speddometer sensor replaced

110K, crankshaft rear oil seal replaced, front crankshaft seal replaced, rear heater coolant lines replaced

116K, bank 1 sensor 2 O2 sensor replaced, new battery

128K, check engine light, code P0306, cleared, test drove, no further problems, said maybe bad gas?

129K, rechargeded AC, said good, but doesn't blow cold now.

131K, replaced front crankshaft seal

My cursory inspection so far:
1. antenna doesn't go up
2. Cigarette lighter doesn't work
3. middle row cup holder bottoms missing
4. hood latch needs work (won't close and latch)
5. parking brakes don't work.
6. Minor seat wear.

Will do full Slee inspection on Sunday.

KBB.com says $8500, they are asking $8000.

Any suggestions, advice, requests for info appreciated.
lx engine bay.jpg
lx driver side.jpg

Is the hood latch issue related to alignment of the hood? Does the hood have the VIN sticker? Unless the stickers have fallen off seeing that VIN sticker can give you some confidence body panels are original as we know Carfax doesn't catch everything.

Front and Rear Lockers? (Magic Dial to the left of the steering column).

I like it, but I am biased. My truck is the same year, color, etc. That is about 1/2 of what I paid when I bought mine. Mine was a one owner and lived its life at the dealership for repairs too.

As for the issues you wrote about:

Antenna, they always break. Seems to be an easy enough fix.

Cigarette lighter, fuse, loose wire maybe? Do you smoke?

Middle row cup holder, dunno about that, I've never sat back there, too busy :steer:

Hood latch, again maybe a matter of adjustment or somethings outta whack

Parking brake...gotta get that fixed, could be just adjustment too, or the pads are worn out.

Seat wear. all have wear on them. I recently replaced my leather with new leather from Shane (AATLAS) here on mud. Not cheap, but damn if they aren't nice. Get some seat covers if you don't care, or can always redo them. If the seat foam is shot, you can get a new one from dealer. I don't think the Toyota foam is the same as the Lexus. I got mine through Lexus. The rest of your parts you can get from CDan since they are pretty much interchangable.

Hopefully that helps some.

Jon

great history on that truck- if i were to buy it i would replace the entire cooling system (radiator, fan clutch and thermostat, PHH) and make sure the birfs are full of moly grease and drive it! Keeping these motors cool is key and a cooling system with 130K on the clicker is worn out-

but dont listen to me :)

Is the hood latch issue related to alignment of the hood? Does the hood have the VIN sticker? Unless the stickers have fallen off seeing that VIN sticker can give you some confidence body panels are original as we know Carfax doesn't catch everything.

It lines up. It looks like the cable from the interior hood release is stuck. Either WD-40 or new cable and WD-40. I will check for vin stickers also, but doesn't appear to be any damage history (have Lexus dealer records as well)

Front and Rear Lockers? (Magic Dial to the left of the steering column).

No lockers, but I am not a rock climber. I drive a lot of highway miles and have a farm in Ohio so I get a variety of weather conditions - snow, ice, mud, occasionally have to pull the tractor or :princess: truck out of the mud, oil field roads, etc.

My 94 isn't locked and has always worked well (currently it is a FWD vehicle, why I am looking)

Thumper,

Thanks, your right, none of those problems are deal breakers, except the lighter....:princess: smokes, think Blues Brothers... cop engine, cop tires, cop shocks.........

great history on that truck- if i were to buy it i would replace the entire cooling system (radiator, fan clutch and thermostat, PHH) and make sure the birfs are full of moly grease and drive it! Keeping these motors cool is key and a cooling system with 130K on the clicker is worn out-

but dont listen to me :)

Your right, I didn't know about this site and how great these trucks were in 2003 when I got my 94 Cruiser so I never baselined it. I will definitely do it right this time.

Forgot to mention, still has the first aid kit in the right rear but pink panties are missing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom