New to me 82 flatbed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up this truck today. Crazy excited to get it baselined and take it out to play!

92374823-479A-4764-B857-45F334B564D1.jpeg
92374823-479A-4764-B857-45F334B564D1.jpeg
8F7527AA-3C9B-4171-B4C3-650238B043A7.jpeg
C8510941-BDDE-4C0F-AC4B-58D28911C05F.jpeg

Not sure why the pics posted so many times.

Nice score. What are your plans for it?

I like the tray (bed). I'll be watching!

Very nice - looks like a great find!

Look forward to seeing what your plans are for it as well.

Haven't had time to mess around with the new toy too much. The 22re was replaced at some point with a 20r with a weber carb conversion. No story on why. Anyway, the truck will run, but will not idle. I replaced a leaky carb flange gasket, but still have the same problem. I know VERY little about carb tuning, but it seems that at idle rpm's, it's not getting enough fuel. Once you crank it and run the rpm's up, it runs great.

Any suggestions for a newb to carb'd trucks?

Last edited:
Haven't had time to mess around with the new toy too much. The 22re was replaced at some point with a 20r with a weber carb conversion. No story on why. Anyway, the truck will run, but will not idle. I replaced a leaky carb flange gasket, but still have the same problem. I know VERY little about carb tuning, but it seems that at idle rpm's, it's not getting enough fuel. Once you crank it and run the rpm's up, it runs great.

Any suggestions for a newb to carb'd trucks?

There are two screws on the carburetor that you can adjust to help with idling. One is the actual idle adjustment screw and the other is the idle mixture screw. The idle adjustment screw literally pushes up on the throttle linkage which is forcing the throttle to stay open a little bit more (thus increasing your idle). The idle mixture screw adjusts the air-fuel ratio that is given to the engine at idle. Here is where they are on your carburetor:

idle_a1.gif

1580.JPG

Here is what I would do to tune your carburetor. Screw the idle mixture screw in until it bottoms out - do not put very much tension on this. Once it bottoms out, unscrew it two full turns as a starting point. If you're doing a cold start on the motor try shutting the choke (the two flaps at the top of the carb). If you find that opening or closing the choke flaps are causing it to idle or not idle, you may need to

If it is starting right up and then struggling to idle, make small adjustments to the idle adjustment screw. That will force the throttle open and should help it idle. If it is idling rough or you feel like it's not getting enough fuel still I would tighten the mixture screw until it smooths out.

Now I do want to note that there are tons of things that will cause the truck not to idle other than the carburetor. Vacuum leaks & poor timing are going to cause it to struggle at idle as well. If you find that you have to turn either of these screws all the way in to get it to idle I would say the carburetor may not be the only thing causing it not to idle well.

Here's some good articles to read about carburetor related issues/tuning your carb.

I personally am not a fan of Webers, and preferred the stock Aisin carb on my 20R. Your Weber will probably have an electric choke on it which you can adjust by unscrewing the 3 screws around it and then moving the choke back and forth.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom