new to me 80 series - transmission needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
Argggggghhhhhhh......

So, I bought this 80, knowing the tranny may be suspect, and on the second day of driving, it is slipping some already. Starting acting strange, so I need to accumulate parts.

Anybody got a tranny lying around?

94'

Thanks,

double check i think transmissions changed from 94-97 it's been a while since i knew all that stuff tho

Thanks guys. I dont' even want to know how much RICH would charge. I used to get parts for my FIAT from them years ago, back in the 80's. Come on everybody, gather around the campfire as I tell you some stories of how it used to be...........

Anywho.... Good news is that this is an extra car, so I have other transport.

I'd do a good transmission flush first. There's a write-up in the 80's section. Just involves a 5 gallon bucket and a length of hose. Pop one of the lines off the cooler in the front and basically dump a little old, add a little new until you have good fluid coming through the cooler. I noticed an immediate improvement in the LX after I did that. Worst case is you end up out a few $$ for the fluid and still have to replace/rebuild the transmission.

Type IV fluid avail by the case at Molle.. Easiest to find it there and for the time you spend trying to locate type IV anywhere else your better off just getting it at the dealer. now that we have 2 vehicles with the same transmission fluid.. If you need I can pick you up a case and have it delivered close to your house via our normal courier service.

I have 3 of his wife's paintings at the house. Very skilled woman. I can honestly tell you that Eric is a stand up guy and you will not be dissapointed if you purchase something from him. THAT is a great deal!

Thanks all for the help. I pm'd genericLC, and see what shipping will be.

Walls, how is the house waterproofing job going? Your last pictures were very impressive!!

Its going good. its all back filled. The weather has really slowed them down. Its taken a week and half but if the weather was good it would have taken 3 days. oh well Thats spring time in va.
That tranny is actually listed on mud too. guy goes by firedog i think. He is doing a 6.5 diesel swap so he is wanted to get rid of it pretty bad.

I think trainrech's bro is coming this way for possible moab or something similar soon so that might take care of shipping. PM rech. his bro lives in roanoake i think.

yep troy is here in roanoke and knows the guy too.

Sweet. I have a pm into the first, I might grab the engine too, but I am scared of shipping.

Thanks again for the links. Shipping may kill either of these deals, I may have to watch for local.

Is Troy able to haul this to KC when he rolls through? Obviously, gas money could be arranged easily.

I PM'd him too. I have long term goals for this rig, so I would not mind having a low milage drivetrain in it.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Troyboy is not driving thru KC to spend time with his brother. Apparently he does not love his brother enough.. possibly Chris dropped him in hot bath water or something.. perhaps we will never know.. Some stories are best left untold.. It might have something to do with a moped?

93-94

Automatic transmission - Electronic Controlled A442Fwith mechanical lockup converter

95-97

Automatic transmission changes to the A343F. Some 95's were produced with the A442F. The transmission type is printed on the label on the driver door.

Clean the screen on the transmission and then find a place that uses a BG fluid exchange system for the transmission fluid.. About 130 bucks. Have seen this solve many transmission problems. I do this on mine when I purchased the last two just for piece of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom