New to me 80 : hand full of 'expeerience' questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sweats oil, not quite a drop now & then, in the front of the engine....down by crank...

Crankshaft seal ? Oil pump housing O-ring ? as most likely culprit . . . ?

Is it bad to have oil in that area ?.... I've read about failing harmonic balancer/ pully assembly. it's been replaced on this rig once already . . .

- - - -

Have FSM,

few burned out lamps in dash....

Do I "have to" remove steering wheel and steering shaft cover to remove dash garnish to get to instrument cluster ?

Are the lamps (light bulbs) in the A/C control panel replaceable (the lamps behing the air flow direction buttons...some arn't lit)

Light bulb for 'ring artound ignition key' . . .Hard to replace ?

Lamp in/for antenna up/down switch - replaceable ?

I know the above is like guilding the lilly, but have some burnouts behind instument cluster, so why not while apart.

Speakers
The ones in the ceiling (headliner) , in cargo area, grill is 'snap in' ?
FSM doesn't show 'bout them...or I haven't found it yet :)

Cowling, in front of windshild, where wiper shafts protrude.
Does the hood "have to" come off to open the cowl enough, maybe remove, to clean under it ?
I think I've a crap load of leaves stuck under there....
if ya press it gently, you can hear the gentle crushing noise of dry leaves being squashed..(sounds like sitting in a bean bag) ...and A/C fan has leaves in it too....saw lots thru the wiper shaft portal....

- - - -

I'm really enjoying the 80; still LOVE my 60 !

Thanks

Pete

Do I "have to" remove steering wheel and steering shaft cover to remove dash garnish to get to instrument cluster ?

Are the lamps (light bulbs) in the A/C control panel replaceable (the lamps behing the air flow direction buttons...some arn't lit)

In order: No, yes, no, yes

Hood does not have to come off, you need a super short philips screwdriver or 1/4 inch rachet with a philips head.

Sweats oil, not quite a drop now & then, in the front of the engine....down by crank...

Is it bad to have oil in that area ?.... I've read about failing harmonic balancer/ pully assembly. it's been replaced on this rig once already . . .

- - - -

Have FSM,

I know the above is like guilding the lilly, but have some burnouts behind instument cluster, so why not while apart.

Speakers
The ones in the ceiling (headliner) , in cargo area, grill is 'snap in' ?
FSM doesn't show 'bout them...or I haven't found it yet :)

Cowling, in front of windshild, where wiper shafts protrude.
Does the hood "have to" come off to open the cowl enough, maybe remove, to clean under it ?
I think I've a crap load of leaves stuck under there....
if ya press it gently, you can hear the gentle crushing noise of dry leaves being squashed..(sounds like sitting in a bean bag) ...and A/C fan has leaves in it too....saw lots thru the wiper shaft portal....

- - - -

I'm really enjoying the 80; still LOVE my 60 !

Thanks

Pete

Pete,

I don't see anywhere in your thread the mileage and year of your new to you 80 Cruiser. Do you have a 3FE or 1FZE-FE? It is hard to diagnose when we don't know what engine type, year, and mileage of your rig :flipoff2:.

Most likely order:
Front upper pan arch
Oil pump housing O-ring
Front crank seal
Timing chain cover

"Bad" in that it drips on the wife's clean garage floor? Yes.

I cannot see any way possible to have a harmonic balancer/pulley fail from anything other than a mechanical damage and it would take more than dropping a 3# BFH on it to damage it. A little oil cannot possibly hurt it. Where in the world did you read that one had "failed?"

-B-

NLXTACY : Thanks for info about lamps . . .

Donutfj80: yea, notice short phillips needed; I have one of thos 90 deg bent type.

4x4,,,,: 1994 , 193700 miles, 1FZ-FE engine . . . .dinky arse tires....

Beowolf: over the years of lurking on the 80s forum ( I'm a 25 yr vet of FJ60...& still have her at 472,000 miles), I've read about the failure of it....and was wondering if it was 'old age' or oil...something about a rubber bushing (?) in it....allows it to wobble itself to death....
When I got the 80, I found a lot of service records....one of which was for replacment of the pully/harmoinic balancer....

Thanks to all

Pete

Beowolf: over the years of lurking on the 80s forum ( I'm a 25 yr vet of FJ60...& still have her at 472,000 miles), I've read about the failure of it....and was wondering if it was 'old age' or oil...something about a rubber bushing (?) in it....allows it to wobble itself to death....

Petey,
There is no rubber bushing on a 1FZ-FE harmonic balancer. The thing is a solid piece of machined steel and a hefty chuck at that. It is not going to fail without some physical damage.

Oh, one more thing. Its Beowulf. :flipoff2:

-B-

Sorry Beowolf, next time I'll spell it Beowulf ;) OK ?

John, great link on D light R&R: Thank You

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom