New to me 2020 - key fobs and other boring questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It happened. I got a fancy LC (relative to the 62 and 80 i've previously had)
It's used of course, and there is only 1 key fob. It's pretty important to get a spare, maybe 2, as i have a talent for losing The Only Key. I have been searching here and ebay and have qucckly arrived at confusion. The FCC ID for mine is HYQ14FBB. Ebay has some (4 button variety i need) HYQ14FBA. Does that last A or B make a difference?

Also, what's this about being locked or unlocked? Once the fob is paired to a vehicle it can it not be used with another till it's decoupled from the first one aka unlocked?

is it this one?, or this one, or This one? they don't show the metal key being part of the assembly which i have seen elsewhere as a separate part, but all have the same cruisers listed as applicable. any comments on that vendor?

the first link above i got the part number off of this $850 one on ebay which is reconditioned but unlocked.

i also didn't get the owner's manual. ebay seems a likely source, though i don't know what the thing is supposed to look like so i'm unsure.

ok, so there we go. If anyone can shove me in the right direction, especially for the remote/key before i lose the one i have that would be swell

congrats on your LC

if you buy a used key, it is locked to the vehicle it came from. you will need to pay to unlock it, I have used these folks just fine to unlock used keys: Unlock SERVICE For Lexus Smart Card Proximity Remote HYQ14CBB HYQ14ABB HYQ14AEB | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/401474922353

your other option is to buy a brand new key and you will not need to unlock it as it has never been paired to a vehicle before. you will need techstream software to pair it to your vehicle or take it to the dealer. i used this video as a guide on how to pair my keyfob to the vehicle:

the metal key is a separate part from the fob and will need to be purchased and cut by the dealer or a capable locksmith.

I can't be certain about the FCC ID question, but I would lean towards getting an identical one with your current working remote to avoid any issues.

Thanks LTSR
the more i look, the more it seems your inclination is correct. the difference looks like it references something the circuit board. A few of the ebay listings i'm eyeballing show the board, and there are differences in the number sequence on the top.

Also, you can download a manual from the Toyota owners site. Worth reading cover to cover. Many questions are answered…

I believe you can also order a hard copy.

20230213_200105.jpg

Number on circuit board ( This example is 2007 - 2008 )

$850 for an eBay key seems steep. Had to get all new keys for a GX awhile back and 2x keys, programming and cutting was cheaper than that. Id give Toyota and the local locksmith a call and see what it would run.

I’m in Massachusetts. I have used ekeys 4 cars and have been very reasonable. Not sure is something similar is in your area.

Thanks for the replies all. I have been out of town, so this task was on the back burner but now back to it.

I think i have the key puzzle worked out, there are even a couple other Toyota variants that have the same circuit board in there that don't look as bulky and are a little cheaper.

I definitely want the physical copy of the owners manual. There are a couple posted on eBay with generic pictures so I am a bit suspect. Does anyone have a picture of the manual handy?

For instance

manuals are found at www.helminc.com not the dealer. cheaper than the ebay link!

i found factory new keys at https://www.bochtoyotasouth.com/parts/ for $130 but they are now showing $179 each. glad i got 2

i ordered floor mats too from them which were ~40% discount from normal but are now only ~10% off. weird. i think toyota is closing out some of the 200 series specific parts. That's not true, i KNOW they are because a local toyota dealer i've used for parts previously has floormats for a 200 series that i ordered from the above vendor listed as "discontinued"

so if you want a short block, maybe get one soon (was ~$5800 a couple days ago when i stumbled on it)

i'm trying to decipher what i need for techstream. dealer wants $270 to program. iLOL in their general direction

i'm trying to decipher what i need for techstream. dealer wants $270 to program. iLOL in their general direction
you just buy a cable on amazon or ebay, Mini VCI TIS OBD2 J2534 For Toyota Lexus Scion with latest Techstream V17.00.020 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/325494002447
buy the blanks for you year/make/model on iqkeysupply.com and there are a lot of youtube videos which walkthrough the steps on how to do it in techstream interface.
Only thing you would not get is the physical key cut which only select dealers and locksmiths can do. But in most cases the physical key doesn't need to be copied as long as you have atleast 1 key in case of emergency.

Just remember when the battery goes empty from prolonged parking your small key is the "only way" or at least the easy way to open the door and pop the hood to get to the battery.

So having that little key cut is worth doing.

Although I have both new original supplied keys and am careful with those, one other mitigation is running a small trickle charger cable extension from the battery to an easy to reach location. Since I have a CTEK charger I have used the included extension and routed it to the corner and top of the front grill, covered it with a black latex type glove finger to keep water out and have it there for that day in the future I may need it. Added a wire loom protector to prevent chaffing and used a couple tiewraps to keep it all in place. The CTEK one has a fuse build in so should not cause a big issue if it somehow would wear through.

1677881279455.png

Last edited:
Just remember when the battery goes empty from prolonged parking your small key is the "only way" or at least the easy way to open the door and pop the hood to get to the battery.

Although I have both new original supplied keys and am careful with those, one other mitigation is running a small trickle charger cable extension from the battery to an easy to reach location. Since I have a CTEK charger I have used the included extension and routed it to the corner and top of the front grill, covered it with a black latex type glove finger to keep water out and have it there for that day in the future I may need it. Added a wire loom protector to prevent chaffing and used a couple tiewraps to keep it all in place. The CTEK one has a fuse build in so should not cause a big issue if it somehow would wear through.

View attachment 3263194
you just buy a cable on amazon or ebay, Mini VCI TIS OBD2 J2534 For Toyota Lexus Scion with latest Techstream V17.00.020 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/325494002447
buy the blanks for you year/make/model on iqkeysupply.com and there are a lot of youtube videos which walkthrough the steps on how to do it in techstream interface.
Only thing you would not get is the physical key cut which only select dealers and locksmiths can do. But in most cases the physical key doesn't need to be copied as long as you have atleast 1 key in case of emergency.
some of the other threads regarding techstream sound a lot less straight forward regarding which version you need, some cables don't work that well etc.

i got the transmitters new from toyota, just need to find the emergency key blanks as they aren't included. iqkeysupply doesn't seem to sell them individually, i think i saw some on ebay i'll have to look again.

View attachment 3263194

good point. i probably have one of those in my mis wiring junk box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom