New to me 2013 LX 570! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I've been lurking and following several build threads and other tip threads for ideas. I just recently picked up a 2013 LX 570 w/100k. Grandma driven since new and always serviced at same location it was purchased. Seems to be very well maintained. Only issues I've noticed so far; Front camera cracked glass, oxidation around headlight washers and ACH isn't consistent in lowering every time I park. Sometimes it just doesn't work. I noticed when I press the button just before parking it seems to work more often. It seems to respond each time I do it manually adjusting the height.

So far I'm loving it. We took a couple trips so far. One on an easy scenic, but long trail. The other, we went camping up in Oak Creek/Sedona area. I think the first thing that needs to be done is ACH flush and new tires. I was terrified of sharp rocks on these trails puncturing the tires. I'm torn on keeping the 20's and upgrading the tires or moving down to 18's and getting a little more aggressive.

I plan on using this for road trips up north (Flagstaff, Rim) to escape the AZ valley heat. We want to get a light camper/trailer at some point. Plan on using to transport kayak, snowboarding trips, haul bikes, etc as well. I wont be sleeping in the vehicle, but a lot of camping trips either tent or pulling a camper. We will see snow in the winters and there are a LOT of dirt trails to explore here. I'm looking for something that works good in all conditions and hopefully not sacrifice road noise or pavement performance. I'd appreciate any feedback, based on my use case.

New to me (old plates)

front.jpg

rear.jpg

inside.jpg

First Dirt
20200907_194141378_iOS.jpg
20200906_001157912_iOS_LI.jpg

Congrats! I just picked up an 08 a few weeks ago. My AHC was also acting a little weird (slow to engage or wouldn’t lift at all) and I did a full fluid flush and it works like new. Just follow the instructions for the 100 series, pretty much the same system except the reservoir is behind the passenger wheel.

I’m pretty sure he’s talking about the “easy exit” feature. There’s a number of prerequisites that must be met for it to lower, and even then, its hit or miss.

I’ll see if I can find the list, but I think these are a few:
- level ground
- all doors must remain closed
- something about not idling too long after parking.

Also, you should have kept those plates!!

Last edited:
First camping trip. Used a soft top storage bag. Last time doing that.

View attachment 2447167

View attachment 2447168

Found a used Thule 1800, however having a problem with it still touching when the back opens, even on the most forward setting. May need a full roof rack option.
View attachment 2447170
I have a Thule case about the same size.. I put the Thule Aero bars on the factory rails. Not much wind noise that I can tell. (Without toys on top) My bars are pretty wide to fit the case and the Thule Hullivator at the same time.

09F6C0B5-AEFE-4895-9911-11C9A3399643.jpeg

329B79D3-0BEC-4D9E-81EB-F706BD43D172.jpeg

I’m pretty sure he’s talking about the “easy exit” feature. There’s a number of prerequisites that must be met for it to lower, and even then, its hit or miss.

I’ll see if I can find the list, but I think these are a few:
- level ground
- all doors must remain closed
- something about not idling too long after parking.

Also, you should have kept those plates!!

That makes sense then. Seems to always work when manually triggered. I have extensive history of service records, but didn’t see it done at 60k unless it was lumped in and not specifically stated. Will call Lexus Monday and see if it was done.

I have a Thule case about the same size.. I put the Thule Aero bars on the factory rails. Not much wind noise that I can tell. (Without toys on top) My bars are pretty wide to fit the case and the Thule Hullivator at the same time.

View attachment 2447405

View attachment 2447406

I’m not sure new bars would help in my case. I have the Thule Atlas 1800, which I saw someone say worked for them. Maybe I can get it forward a little bit more. It’s the from bar that’s preventing it from going forward any more. Like your rig!!

I’m not sure new bars would help in my case. I have the Thule Atlas 1800, which I saw someone say worked for them. Maybe I can get it forward a little bit more. It’s the from bar that’s preventing it from going forward any more. Like your rig!!
I'm not sure how your Thule mounts to the rack, but on mine (differently style box) I drilled new mounting holes in the bottom of the Thule box and move the internal mounting mechanism a bit the rear. It now clears the tailgate fine.

I think your box has the quick connect claw things like mine with some sliding adjustment. But your issue may be the LX roof rack does not extend forward as much as the LC. I have plenty of clearance with the hatch open. Maybe with the bars you can gain a bit forward position and additional clearance because the box will be higher. I have some pics when I first switched the bars over. Hope you figure it out. But it’s a handy excuse to justify modifications! And thanks for the comment.. I like it too!

3D207E68-9514-47B1-84F3-7BDEEF83E3D7.jpeg

90E47785-052D-4E9B-8EA6-12C58D9EBA16.jpeg

70418499-2134-40AA-9B36-DBFE00DD67FA.jpeg

EE782A0C-046D-4B6E-AA5A-2DCF23011590.jpeg

That makes sense then. Seems to always work when manually triggered. I have extensive history of service records, but didn’t see it done at 60k unless it was lumped in and not specifically stated. Will call Lexus Monday and see if it was done.

If it's not on the service record I doubt it was done. (it's around $250ish)

I have read several different accounts on the forum of dealers/techs insisting it's a "sealed system" and refusing to do service on it.

Congrats, I have a White 2013, I bought 1 year ago. I bought with 62K and had the AHC done (along with all the fluids) The easy exit feature can be a bit odd at times. There are some times where I swear I met all the conditions and it doesn't lower.

I also ditched the 20s and put 18s on the truck, much better ride and tire selection, esp. for off road tires.

What was the issue with the soft top bag? Wind noise?

If it's not on the service record I doubt it was done. (it's around $250ish)

I have read several different accounts on the forum of dealers/techs insisting it's a "sealed system" and refusing to do service on it.

Congrats, I have a White 2013, I bought 1 year ago. I bought with 62K and had the AHC done (along with all the fluids) The easy exit feature can be a bit odd at times. There are some times where I swear I met all the conditions and it doesn't lower.

I also ditched the 20s and put 18s on the truck, much better ride and tire selection, esp. for off road tires.

What was the issue with the soft top bag? Wind noise?

I’m so torn on keeping the 20s or doing 18s. Is the ride on road better? Smoother? I just didn’t like the zipper system on it and it nearly flew off the car on the freeway due to crappy restraints from the one I purchased. Hard top seems much easier to load and feel secure with.

Think I’ll just take it to Lex or Toyota to get the AHC done. Thanks!

I think your box has the quick connect claw things like mine with some sliding adjustment. But your issue may be the LX roof rack does not extend forward as much as the LC. I have plenty of clearance with the hatch open. Maybe with the bars you can gain a bit forward position and additional clearance because the box will be higher. I have some pics when I first switched the bars over. Hope you figure it out. But it’s a handy excuse to justify modifications! And thanks for the comment.. I like it too!

View attachment 2447971

View attachment 2447972

View attachment 2447973

View attachment 2447974

Yea, this has the claw system that is adjustable maybe 6 inches? It just barely hits right now when the rear is fully extended. Only need maybe an inch of wiggle room. Bars might help. I’m going to take another look this week to make sure I can’t get it a little more forward.

I’m so torn on keeping the 20s or doing 18s. Is the ride on road better? Smoother? I just didn’t like the zipper system on it and it nearly flew off the car on the freeway due to crappy restraints from the one I purchased. Hard top seems much easier to load and feel secure with.

price out the same tire in 18" and 20". You may find that the 18" tires plus 18" wheels are the same as 20" tires (obviously, depends on how crazy you go on the wheels). You'll get more sidewall and a smoother ride.

edit: i guess prices have changed. My tires are only $50 less between 18" and 20".

Also, the "AHC flush" is wicked easy to do at home. Same process as bleeding brakes. There have been a few horror stories around here regarding dealer flushes, along with some people finding out that the dealer only added 1 liter of fluid to the reservoir vs flush all the fluid out.

If you end up taking it in, make sure you get very specific on what they plan on doing in the flush process.

Last edited:

I much prefer the ride on 18, less jarring, more tire sidewall to help absorb the road. Depending on where you are you can find some greats deals on the classified for tires/rims. I picked up some 18" '13 LC rims. Moved the TPS sensor over, had them painted and popped them on. Sold the LX rims to a local MUD member as well.

I asked about the soft case because I have a nice Yakima I have used for several years and aside from some extra noise no real issues. It has a pretty sturdy restraint system and is waterproof but I have been looking at hard cases also.

Enjoy the truck!

Last edited:

I also have a ‘13 LX, for almost 7 years. I have the OEM 20” on summer tires and run 18” in the winter. The 20” are fairly pointless, rougher ride, less sidewall, worse when aired down,... I’ve kept the 20 since I tow a ~6800 lb camper 5-10k miles a summer and thought they would handle that better, but I’ll probably switch to 17” next time I’m due for summer tires.

I also have a ‘13 LX, for almost 7 years. I have the OEM 20” on summer tires and run 18” in the winter. The 20” are fairly pointless, rougher ride, less sidewall, worse when aired down,... I’ve kept the 20 since I tow a ~6800 lb camper 5-10k miles a summer and thought they would handle that better, but I’ll probably switch to 17” next time I’m due for summer tires.

Appreciate the feedback. Pretty much set on 18s based on what I’ve read, however I find the LX to be buttery smooth now, so can’t imagine more of a plush ride.

That was also one of my thoughts on the 20s was better performance for towing, but I’ve seen quite a few people tow with 18s.

Any noticeable difference freeway handling between the 18s and 20s? Obviously, tires play a huge role in that.

Appreciate the feedback. Pretty much set on 18s based on what I’ve read, however I find the LX to be buttery smooth now, so can’t imagine more of a plush ride.

That was also one of my thoughts on the 20s was better performance for towing, but I’ve seen quite a few people tow with 18s.

Any noticeable difference freeway handling between the 18s and 20s? Obviously, tires play a huge role in that.

Keep in mind that you will loose some of that butter if you go to an LT tire. apples vs oranges....

Last edited:
Reactions: HGB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom