New-to-me 2010 LX570 - Body work options in CO? And other random thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone! I got the LC bug about 1.5 years ago. I bought a "beater" LX470 for my son as a first vehicle for learning to drive in. As I like to say, it's got it all (in my best Stephon voice)... rust, hail damage, 280k miles. But it is really solid. We took it to Moab last year and put it through the wringer. It needed an alignment when we got back, but otherwise, it is great!

So that got me started on looking at 200s for myself, and as I love the AHC in the 100, I was really only looking at the LX570. One popped up on AutoTrader locally, essentially a one owner 2010 with 186k miles. The lady was asking $19,500, and in the current market in Colorado, I felt it was a good price. It needs a little rear quarter panel body work, and it's got it's share of issues like any vehicle of that year/mileage, but I feel it was a solid purchase.

First of all, I'm getting really frustrated just trying to get someone to give me an estimate on the body work. I use one body shop a LOT, as I run an electrical contracting business with young drivers who can't seem to stop running into things. But I think they prefer to work with insurance. (The Carriage Shoppe.) Last year, I got Affordable Auto Body in Loveland to fix a leaky/rusty windshield area on my 100, and I was very happy with the work they did... but they have downsized and I can't get them to get back to me.

To those of you who might be interested in the scope of the work, here are a few pictures. (The first one is so you can get an overall view of it.) Looks like the PO got clipped right behind the fuel filler door. What sucks is that someone tried to fix it by beating on it from behind the sheetmetal, and they just made it worse. I removed the taillight to show where they cut a hole to access the area they wanted to work on... (insert facepalm here).

Anyhow, I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions for where to get the body work done. I'll go anywhere in CO north of I-70 if they will do a good job.

As far as other thoughts: The engine has a pretty awful racket going when it is cold and idling. Does this sound like a timing chain tensioner to you all? The engine is smooth and powerful as it should be, and the noise goes away once it is warm (run for more than 10 minutes) or if you rev above 1200RPM. I've owned a couple of 5.7 Tundras, none of them made this noise. It's definitely happening on the driver's side of the motor. It is, for sure, not a typical loud 5.7 engine noise. I'd like your thoughts! Other possible culprits, what you might suggest would be a good approach with my mechanic.

Other than that, I'm just looking at wheel/tire upgrades! I'm not a fan of 20" wheels, I like a little sidewall! I'll probably keep it pretty close to stock, I'm pretty mellow when I go off-road. As much as I love the overlanding look that many of you have on yours, these things are amazing just as they come from the factory.

Thanks in advance for your input!

D7099004-44BF-49E2-8AEF-52310C8050F2.jpeg

IMG_6306.jpeg

IMG_6308.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom