New to me 1998 100......the list goes on and on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pretty pumped .....wasn't really in the market but I do love 100s. Found a 1998 in good mechanical shape but neglected otherwise and made a flyer offer only to have him accept so here we are. Truck is Natural white with the grey trim and bumpers...anybody got that color code?

This ride has 297k miles on it but runs out very strong / everything is tight / everything works. Carfax history shows AZ truck as new and dealer maintenance history until 170k miles. At that point it moved to southern VA where the same family had it the last 12 yrs. Made the 6hr ride home in a breeze but did flash a CEL every now and then. Underneath has very little rust......

Got it home and it was nasty nasty...guy didn't even bother to spit on it before I got there...may be based off my offer though :oops:

After 4 hrs of vacuuming / degreasing / wiping down the interior you now don't need a tetanus shot to sit in it.

Here is a list of items needing to be addressed that I have uncovered so far and ordered parts for:

-Hood struts are worn out...ordered off Amazon for $25
-Ordered a semi custom floor mat set off Amazon for $50
-Ordered the Toyota emblem for back hatch as it was missing...$23 on ebay
-Gonna replace the heater Ts so ordered those(factory OEM for $25 for both)....looks like a DIY type job?
-About to order BFG 285-65-16s if I don't score some used locally
-Gonna delete the running boards tonight
-Gonna crank Tbars soon as well...anybody know how many turns gets you X inches?

List in the still sorting through bucket:
-Windshield has the leak somewhere as the driver side footwell gets damp during rain....may flex seal it for now. Anybody try that?
-Damn V8 is loud...pretty sure it is time for a muffler
-Gonna continue to baseline the truck as time/$$$ allows....aimed at trans / rear diff next few weeks
-Front seats have seen better days......trying to narrow down covers vs replacement skins
-Cleaning off the yrs of collected brake dust off wheels....its gonna need something with acid probably
-Bumpers and trim have scratches etc they need to be Plasti dipped or painted......again anybody that knows the paint code trim that would be awesome.

Have an appointment with local independent shop to complete the timing belt job with new water pump /pulleys/tensioners for $990...Toyota parts and 3yr/36mile warrenty on work....seem fair?

Love these things but the intial $$ dump after purchase can suck

I'm going through something similar. Between the critical maintenance update + exciting upgrades, the $ and time investment is significant. But the outcome is still way cheaper, more fun, and more unique than buying a new Defender, 4runner, Bronco, etc.

My thinking is laid out here. Will follow your thread as well - lot's to learn as we go.

Fluids:
- oil change
- diffs
- transfer case
- transmission
- coolant (with your timing belt change, obviously, but make sure they use Toyota Red - check to see what color is in your reservoir tank)
- check power steering level

Other:
- lube the zerks for the driveshafts
- clean throttle body, swap out PCV valve and grommet
- air filter
- check to see if the interior cabin air filters behind the glovebox are even installed (I had the slot, but it was empty)
- heater tees if you can get the original hoses off, is a DIY job for sure (I'm currently replacing all of my heater hoses and having to cut them off, but maybe you're stronger than me!)
- I'd argue a radiator cap at ~$12 is a good investment

Fix that leak asap. Its destroying your relay box. No don't flex seal. Screws were used instead of rivets. You may also find some real nasty rust underneath it.

Fix that leak asap. Its destroying your relay box. No don't flex seal. Screws were used instead of rivets. You may also find some real nasty rust underneath it.
Agreed, lots of electronics there on the left side under the dash and a lot of problems become hard to track because a little moisture goes in there.

Also, might check to see if your sunroof leaks, clean the drains, grease the sunroof tracks so it doesn't lock up on you, etc.

Have someone spray water and look for entry points? Would mean remove a pillar cover and/or watching under dash. Not sure of the process as (crossing fingers) haven't dealt with this myself. The above thread shows the potential damage/rust caused by improper install of replacement windshield.

I was getting water in the footwell of my 99LC also. I cleared the front drains and still was getting water. What I found was that the drain hose where it connects to the sunroof was hard and dry rotted. The clamp no longer sealed it in heavy rain situations. I cut about an inch off and reseated the tube with a worm clamp. No water in the foot well anymore.

Leak was the sunroof.....cleared drains and all appears good to go.

I am happy for you and your excitement. In California fuel costs $100 to drive a 100-series for 6 hours at 65mph. So at least you don’t have that; I just checked EU prices and it could cost $168, at least I don’t have that.

Intermitent CEL might be a coil pack on its way out. Rock Auto has the best deal on Denso coil packs.

New coil packs and spark plugs is a premium baselining move.

Intermitent CEL might be a coil pack on its way out. Rock Auto has the best deal on Denso coil packs.

New coil packs and spark plugs is a premium baselining move.
Which definition of premium? Top of the list, or expensive with alternatives available?

Prior owner saying TB was done 4 yrs ago (no proof)...he has it for 3 yrs and 33k miles....his mom had it before that.

Ill search for sticker

Which definition of premium? Top of the list, or expensive with alternatives available?
Neither. I use premium in-place of solid or really good.

I wouldn’t put coil packs above much of what’s
listed...though higher than most trucks if it has an intermitent CEL. (I’d get the code read asap, to eduacte my decision).

Toyota coil packs are close to $100 each. The Densos from Rock Auto are quality, fairly priced and from a known Toyota supplier.

With coil packs, you tend to get what you pay for.

Same leak on my 2000LC whats the best way to check the sunroof drains? And how do you clear them?

Same leak on my 2000LC whats the best way to check the sunroof drains? And how do you clear them?
Open sunroof. Stand up with head through sunroof. Look for the small holes at the front corners. Take a bottle of water and see if they clog up. Grab some weed trimmer line and push down through the hole to loosen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom