New to me 1986 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,
I've been lurking around here for a while, lots of great info on this site. I have always been more into old Chevy trucks, but have recently caught the Toyota bug. I thought I'd share some pictures of my new to me FJ60. It belonged to my wife's cousin. A few years back I went with him to check it out, and he ended up making a deal on it. He has since moved into NYC, and no longer has the need nor time for it. It has been sitting behind his garage growing mold for about 2 years now. We both couldn't stand seeing it sit any longer so I struck a deal to buy it from him. I know the truck spent some time living in Michigan, before one of the PO's brought it here to the east end of Long Island. The woman whom he purchased it from claimed that the truck was once owned by one of the actresses from the movie "Fargo" and that this truck was actually in that movie at some point, but I'm not sure about all that.

It was running like a bag of potatoes due to various vacuum leaks, so i've already done a full de-smog on it. Its now running incredibly well, but needs and exhaust system. There are a few minor oil leaks, and it needs a knuckle rebuild. I also ordered parts to do brakes for all 4 corners. Its in pretty decent shape, just a little worn out. The odometer has been stuck at 178K as long as I've known the truck, so who knows actual mileage.

Plans:
Phase 1:
-Get it running and stopping well
-New Carpet
-New Seat upholstery
-Tint Windows
-Fix body rust; rear quarters, various small other spots
-Possible Repaint
Phase 2:
-5.3/4L60 Swap
-2" Lift
-Wheels & Tires
-Remove body, Sandblast & Paint Frame

Now Pictures!

All in all it looks good and tons of potential.

Just a piece of advice, what ever you budget for repairs and upgrades add 20-30%.

While Chevy truck are easy to budget for repairs ( I restored a 70 Chevelle and hit my budget), 60’s and Cruisers in general suddenly jump in price. I am so far over budget my wife calls it the blank blank blank money pit.

Example. Brakes
I planned to only change the rears as they were bad and the front had been replaced.
While under there I bumped one of the lines and seems the clamp for the line was mounted on the axle was holding the rust just enough that it did not leak. Now it leaks and I am replacing all of the lines. As there is no “kit” it is all done by hand.

Always something.

Aside from that enjoy it. They are real simple to fix even for a novice.

Ill do the front brakes when you do the hubs. They come off anyway. Ill also did the calipers too. Rockauto have them cheap

Congrats on the 60 and the desmog

Thanks for the kind words...
I do plan on doing the front brakes at the same time as the knuckle job. On something like this I would never just throw a set of pads on and call it good. I ordered loaded calipers, rotors, and new inner & outer brake hoses for the front. The rear is getting new wheel seals, shoes, drums, hoses, wheel cylinders, adjusters, and all new springs and hardware. I was going to do the 4Runner caliper upgrade but I figure I can get equal performance out of a new and well adjusted FJ60 brake system. I guess I will have to start a build progress thread...

I know my rear drums work good currently but I've never had mine apart. If/ when i have issues, any parts cost that would go to the drum setup, will be used to convert to disc.

If you're planning to buy all new parts, maybe investigate what a disc setup might run? I think I've seen just the brackets can be bought, but not sure what rotor to buy.

I only mention this because my drums grab faster and lock up much sooner than my v6 4 runner calipers do.
It's a bit irritating, especially with all this snow.

You might find the same result.

If you're planning to buy all new parts, maybe investigate what a disc setup might run? I think I've seen just the brackets can be bought, but not sure what rotor to buy.

This crossed my mind, but the rear brake parts were cheap. If/when I convert to a Vortec 5.3L, I will investigate a disc swap for the rear. My main concern is just getting it roadworthy as soon as I can. I want to DD it for a while to see what it really needs.

I only mention this because my drums grab faster and lock up much sooner than my v6 4 runner calipers do.
It's a bit irritating, especially with all this snow.

You might find the same result.
Check your adjustment. You also could have a MC going bad or something else. Mine do not lockup and worse than any other disk drum setup.

Thanks for the kind words...
I do plan on doing the front brakes at the same time as the knuckle job. On something like this I would never just throw a set of pads on and call it good. I ordered loaded calipers, rotors, and new inner & outer brake hoses for the front. The rear is getting new wheel seals, shoes, drums, hoses, wheel cylinders, adjusters, and all new springs and hardware. I was going to do the 4Runner caliper upgrade but I figure I can get equal performance out of a new and well adjusted FJ60 brake system. I guess I will have to start a build progress thread...

Agreed. I find the brakes when new in a 60 and adjusted right will put you through the windshield when needed.
It is when you are running big tires that you may have an issue. But then again I think some people just do it as other have and they think it is cool.
My First 60 was an '87 with a Chevy V8 conversion, 35" tires and 16" rims. It had stock brakes and they never gave me any issues and it always stopped. Including some very sketchy roads.

Hmm, i thought everything was in good order. Perhaps the fat heavy 6 cyl diesel has thrown off my weight distribution? Rig weighs about 5300lbs, all new front brakes.

Little update from the weekend...
The failing paint on the hood was driving me nuts so i sanded it down and primed it. Should keep the rust from getting much worse. The paint was failing from a prior bondo job that probably wasnt done properly. I hit it with 80 grit on the DA sander, then 150 on the DA, then blocked with 320. Its not perfect, but better than it was. It will still need some attention once I decide to actually paint it. That Rust-Oleum automotive primer is a damn close match to the silver! I also got a sizable RockAuto parts delivery, that will be next weekend's project.

I guess i will just turn this into the build thread...
I've been hard at work on this thing.

I started with the rear. Shoes, Adjusters, Springs, wheel cylinders and wheel seals. And fresh fluid in the rear diff since I had to pull the C-Clips.

I also did a full exhaust from the downpipe back. I cut it just before the EGR tube and eliminated the Cat. Straight pipe back to a cheapy walker muffler, and walker tail pipe. The whole setup cost me under $120 or so. No pics of the new, but here's the garbage that came off.

Next, on to the knuckle job. Has anyone mentioned what a greasy, messy, ball busting job this is? I couldn't imagine doing it without my garage sale parts washer. I think i actually used about 14 cans of brake cleaner, thank god it was on sale BOGO this week. I started with the drivers side, and the other side took me about half the time. Wheel seals, inner/outer wheel bearings & races, rotors, calipers, brake hoses, and I repainted my way out of everything. I know red hub dials aren't FJ60 correct, but hey they look cool.

Next, was aftermarket grille and headlight doors. The fitment on these was mediocre, but this truck had been in a minor hit on the right front, so that could be a factor. (dont mind the mess)

As you may see from the last pic, I also polished the wheels. I used steel wool and WD-40. Works like a charm and they look really good from 10' away. Im happy with it for now, a new set of stock steel chrome wheels is $$$$. Start with 00 or 000 steel wool, and then a final polish with 0000 and this is what you get.

Last and not least, i did HFS lift shackles from CCOT in the rear. These are the 2.5" over stock. I also bought the 1.5" for the front, but have not done them yet. The rear springs in this thing were dead flat. They raised it up to where the rear looks to be sitting higher than the front from some angles. I wasn't sure i'd need the front, but i guess i'm going to use them. It seems like its leaning towards the drivers side a little, maybe a weaker spring on the left front? Its been quite a few days of work to get to this point tell me what you all think! The before pics actually make the truck look better than it did since it was wet. Next up, 33x10.50 BFG's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom