Builds New to me 14 GX460 Lux aspiring build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

here’s what 95000 mile plugs look like, i went with NGK 94122 for the replacements we will see how they fare, i changed diff fluids and transfer case fluids as well

changing the plugs took about 2 hours it’s a tough job but not impossible definitely took some patience to wiggle into those tubes with th extensions and u-joint and to get some of those coils out

don’t think i’m willing to try transmission think i’ll take it to toyota to have them change that out in the near future

IMG_7976.jpeg

IMG_7975.jpeg

IMG_7974.jpeg

IMG_7973.jpeg

What concerns do you have about AT fluid? I’ve done 4-5 drain and fills on my 460 in years past.. I plan to do a single drain and fill this summer.
so many threads that go back and forth talking about it has to be a certain temp and the whole measuring the output to put the right back in. i don’t trust myself with such a “delicate” part lol

so many threads that go back and forth talking about it has to be a certain temp and the whole measuring the output to put the right back in. i don’t trust myself with such a “delicate” part lol

It's not that hard to do. I haven't done it on the GX yet but I have for other vehicles. You need a way to read the trans temp sensor, usually an OBD2 reader of some sort. The range they give is wide enough that it's easy to get within it.

The reason for the temp spec is that the fluid expands as it warms up. I checked on one car with the dipstick I installed as it was warming up and the difference between cold and the lukewarm temp specified was significant.

I never measure the drained oil to determine how much to put in. You're depending on the last guy to have done it right. The proper way to check is with the level plug or tube.

I actually prefer the GX method versus vehicles with a dipstick. I overfill 1/2 quart over drained amount. At specified temp via OBD temp monitor I open the check valve.. once stream goes to a trickle replace check valve. You are done.. no further adjustment should be necessary.

i may give it a go, still on the fence about it i’ll shop around to see how big of a difference the diy route is to getting it done

also i’m thinking about trying to tint my own windows next anyone have experience with that?

broke my antenna backing into a parking spot in a garage on a low hanging water pipe today. luckily was able to get it back on and sealed with some rubber butyl

IMG_8400.jpeg

IMG_8402.jpeg

IMG_8401.jpeg

Must have been a ridiculously low garage. I'd probably have duck just walking into it.

Just get a OBDLink app and a compatible reader. The app can read both transmission temps, you want A/T Temperature 1, which is the pan temperature.

Changing the fluid is super easy with the app. With a 2" lift and 32s I do not need to jack up my GX.

I do a single flush once a year with 3 qt of Idemitsu fluid, costs about $35-40.

i may give it a go, still on the fence about it i’ll shop around to see how big of a difference the diy route is to getting it done

Just for a little reassurance having a transmission fluid exchange done at Toyota is one of the few things I pay someone else to do. Toyota truck transmissions are fairly sensitive on wanting the correct fluid levels, and having all new fluid gives me peace of mind that is worth the cost. YMMV

Reactions: r2m
SO as i knew would happen, i changed my oil last night and 2 out of the 4 stupid little allen head bolts that victory provides got stripped out. Had to cut them out and put a few good cuts into the access panel due to me not being careful and just annoyed at having to do all this extra work for a simple oil change

ordering some new bolts with rivnuts from mcmaster carr once i get the measurements because i dont want to go through that again

so as an fyi if anyone is considering the victory front skid plate, dont use the hardware for the oil filter access panel because it will become a pain in the ass at the worst time

Just for a little reassurance having a transmission fluid exchange done at Toyota is one of the few things I pay someone else to do. Toyota truck transmissions are fairly sensitive on wanting the correct fluid levels, and having all new fluid gives me peace of mind that is worth the cost. YMMV
I'll share my method which I'm sure is similar to others.

Let the truck and 4qts of new fluid sit overnight in the garage so their temps are the same. Drain the old into a bucket with QT markings to measure how much comes out, then use another bucket and put the same amount of new fluid in. Use a hand pump to replace into the transmission. So far I've done this 5-6 times over the last couple years with no issues.

I'll share my method which I'm sure is similar to others.

Let the truck and 4qts of new fluid sit overnight in the garage so their temps are the same. Drain the old into a bucket with QT markings to measure how much comes out, then use another bucket and put the same amount of new fluid in. Use a hand pump to replace into the transmission. So far I've done this 5-6 times over the last couple years with no issues.

That works if the previous mechanic set the level correctly and there are no leaks. But those are not guaranteed.

Setting the level the factory way will always get it right. It's not difficult. You need a way to monitor the OBD2 trans temp but that's not hard and arguably everyone who works on cars should have a OBD2 reader for them.

okay so somebody school me if this makes 0 sense what i want to try. i have the ML audio and i want to add a 10” sub i have laying around so i think i can run the input from the OEM subwoofer to a LOC and have it go to an amp and external subwoofer in an enclosure does that make sense or not possible?

okay so somebody school me if this makes 0 sense what i want to try. i have the ML audio and i want to add a 10” sub i have laying around so i think i can run the input from the OEM subwoofer to a LOC and have it go to an amp and external subwoofer in an enclosure does that make sense or not possible?
Silly question... or not.
Why?
I'm not an audiophile but adding more sub to an ML system would just be too much thump and bass to quite a good sound system.
Albeit, that's just my opinion.

Silly question... or not.
Why?
I'm not an audiophile but adding more sub to an ML system would just be too much thump and bass to quite a good sound system.
Albeit, that's just my opinion.
not a silly question but for that exact reason i feel the ML sub just doesn’t thump as hard as I like so it needs a little helping hand

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom