Builds New to me 14 GX460 Lux aspiring build thread (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would a Rivnut or Nutsert type fastener work?
Ha-ha!
Great minds think alike!!
I just posted, and then your post popped up just above mine!!

Ha-ha!
Great minds think alike!!
I just posted, and then your post popped up just above mine!!
ah i completely forgot about rivnuts, what material you think i should buy them in to avoid them rusting? stainless steel?

ah i completely forgot about rivnuts, what material you think i should buy them in to avoid them rusting? stainless steel?
Absolutely use stainless steel. Aluminum and brass are too soft and will strip, anything will rust.
It doesn't really matter what kind of SS, whether it's 18-8, 301, 303, 304, etc. Some stainless steels are more corrosion resistant than other with less carbon, but those are usually used for medical devices, knives, and such. Whatever is cheapest in SS.

Absolutely use stainless steel. Aluminum and brass are too soft and will strip, anything will rust.
It doesn't really matter what kind of SS, whether it's 18-8, 301, 303, 304, etc. Some stainless steels are more corrosion resistant than other with less carbon, but those are usually used for medical devices, knives, and such. Whatever is cheapest in SS.
cool im going to see if i can’t find the right size but and order that Thanks!

Looks like access panel was made for the 4.0 L 1GR-FE V6 and vertical oil filter placement. Actually the oil filter setup on the 1UR-FE in Tundra would work in this location but not convenient with passenger side/horizontal placement of oil filter on 460.

This drove me to the Budbuilts for maintenance

Looks like access panel was made for the 4.0 L 1GR-FE V6 and vertical oil filter placement. Actually the oil filter setup on the 1UR-FE in Tundra would work in this location but not convenient with passenger side/horizontal placement of oil filter on 460.

This drove me to the Budbuilts for maintenance

So what actually IS the best skid for a GX?
So many of these look cheesy or not user friendly for maintenance

I’ve not seen any that won’t require you to drop skids for front diff, transfer case and transmission fluid.

I can’t tell anyone what is best for them but with my Budbuilt skids I only have to remove a small panel for easy access to oil filter.

No full dropping of skid or creative ways to remove filter and funnel oil out without making a mess.

In addition I can run a Fumoto valve without issue beyond another nice panel with lots of room. Take a look at pics in thread I linked to .

Budbuilt designed their skids for the 460.. not a general design to cover all 150 series models.

+1 for BudBuilt. Plenty of options will provide good protection but AFAIK BudBuilt is the only one with 460-specific maintenance access. You have to drop plates for diff/t-case/transmission service but oil changes have easy access. I also don't have a lift (yet) so I'm able to perform extensive testing on the strength and durability of the skid plates and can confirm they work as intended.

I also don't have a lift (yet) so I'm able to perform extensive testing on the strength and durability of the skid plates and can confirm they work as intended.
lol

I‘m in this camp too, the factory splash pan doesn't recognize itself anymore.

+1 for BudBuilt. Plenty of options will provide good protection but AFAIK BudBuilt is the only one with 460-specific maintenance access. You have to drop plates for diff/t-case/transmission service but oil changes have easy access. I also don't have a lift (yet) so I'm able to perform extensive testing on the strength and durability of the skid plates and can confirm they work as intended.
Cbi too.

Haven’t done much in a while but did rebadge and wax the GX
B2515F2F-1A83-4B1C-97D6-E26209BE8D51.jpeg

CD607EDC-56B3-43C2-B786-99B84B190B19.jpeg

91307C13-5359-4CFB-9CC3-1A508AC3F77C.jpeg
BB37BAF2-060E-43CB-9E82-15FA63DAD702.jpeg
07193717-501B-456F-87A7-4514714BDCC4.jpeg
7A61C944-273A-455D-B97B-7B2D2D76B7EE.jpeg
5DFE6A21-5420-49E8-AA09-8E190AC733F7.jpeg

it was nice today so just dropping some random progress pics haven’t done much lately just painted the chrome in the rear and replaced the toyota badge with the one from the actual prado still debating if i want to drop 200 on the Land Cruiser Prado trim piece
my prado window visors should be arriving today

IMG_7829.jpeg

went through with the bumper cut today, i was really back and forth with it but once i got the first cut in there was no turning back. I still need to cut the brackets off the bumper reinforcement tomorrow when i get a new wheel for my cut off

Trim comes in tomorrow to clean up the cuts and i’ll post a better pic

View attachment 3299172
went through with the bumper cut today, i was really back and forth with it but once i got the first cut in there was no turning back. I still need to cut the brackets off the bumper reinforcement tomorrow when i get a new wheel for my cut off

Get a cheap surform plane and that will very nicely clean up any bobbles and wobbles in your cut line.
Amazon product ASIN B0BFWVF7DX

View attachment 3299172

You don’t need to cut those brackets off, just a few swings of a hammer and the rivets will break loose. Way cleaner than cutting, quicker (maybe?), and you could always put them back on. When I removed the lower valence cover I was hesitant to remove the brackets, just in case I wanted to put it back on. I don’t think I ever would, but not just cutting them off affords me that option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom