New to LC world. Buying a 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at a 100 series that seems to be in pretty good shape aside from the fact the center dif lock needs to be actuated to drive it. The owner said he thinks its a front axle and wheel hub that is bad. Any insight on this? I appreciate the help. Thanks

Don’t make the same mistake I did and check for rust. Pictures of the under carriage before you even leave the house.
This!!!!

New axles will run you about $480/ea. and that is not including any other seals, bearings, etc. that SHOULD likely be replaced with those. Also don't make the mistake of going cheap on aftermarket axles. While NAPA branded axles seem to be pretty good, there are super cheap options out there that will be a headache, ask me how I know (correcting PO stupid s***).

I am looking at a 100 series that seems to be in pretty good shape aside from the fact the center dif lock needs to be actuated to drive it. The owner said he thinks its a front axle and wheel hub that is bad. Any insight on this? I appreciate the help. Thanks
Thinks? Proof?

Don’t make the same mistake I did and check for rust. Pictures of the under carriage before you even leave the house.
The undercarriage has some rust but its not terrible. I've seen worse. Its a southern VA LC and we don't get much of a winter in these parts usually.

This!!!!

New axles will run you about $480/ea. and that is not including any other seals, bearings, etc. that SHOULD likely be replaced with those. Also don't make the mistake of going cheap on aftermarket axles. While NAPA branded axles seem to be pretty good, there are super cheap options out there that will be a headache, ask me how I know (correcting PO stupid s***).
Thanks for the info. I saw a pair on Ebay that boasted an amazing warranty and supposedly heavy duty for 200 bucks. Any recommendations on where to buy these for a decent price? Rock auto?

You may wish to do some searching in this forum on non-OEM axles and build your knowledge base before spending any money on parts or the rig itself. The FAQ and search functions are EXCELLENT.

He said when he puts it in drive there is a slight grinding / clicking noise coming from the front and when you hit the gas it won't move. However, with the center diff locked it drives.

Since this is an AWD vehicle for the most part until the center diff lock is engaged, this is what happens when the axles or hub flanges give way. At that rate, you don't know how much damage is done to the front end and could be THOUSANDS of dollars deep before THAT issue is resolved.
Unless he is practically giving it away and you have money to burn, look elsewhere. Period.

Since this is an AWD vehicle for the most part until the center diff lock is engaged, this is what happens when the axles or hub flanges give way. At that rate, you don't know how much damage is done to the front end and could be THOUSANDS of dollars deep before THAT issue is resolved.
Unless he is practically giving it away and you have money to burn, look elsewhere. Period.
I'm picking it up for 3k after much back and forth. The body is great..interior great. The trans fluid is nice and red. The oil is clean. Not much rust
It had been sitting for a while though. Has 212k miles. I am a diesel guy and work on my own trucks, but this will be a first working on an IFS AWD setup. So I'm hoping I can add some money and sweat equity and have a nice running cruiser at some point.

I'm picking it up for 3k after much back and forth. The body is great..interior great. The trans fluid is nice and red. The oil is clean. Not much rust
It had been sitting for a while though. Has 212k miles. I am a diesel guy and work on my own trucks, but this will be a first working on an IFS AWD setup. So I'm hoping I can add some money and sweat equity and have a nice running cruiser at some point.

Ok if it is as good as you say then that is not too bad a price with the front axles issues.
I recently just redid my front axles after the PO I purchased from having a shop do some shady work on it (can see Alita's build thread in my sig line). There is a thread running around here with some FSMs for 2004MY vehicle which will get you most of what you need, however I am a paperback kinda guy so I ended purchasing my own copies for my 1998.

Now depending on what exactly is busted, it could be either the front diff (depending on year will be 2 pinion or 4 pinion) or could be axles/hub flanges. There is another thread with some advice on online shops to purchase parts from, we have lots of vendors on here (such as Cruiser Outfitters @cruiseroutfit ) that are incredible to deal and just all around awesome guys. We recommend supporting community vendors before buying elsewhere.

Buuuutttttt.... The most important thing... WE NEED PICS!!!

Ok if it is as good as you say then that is not too bad a price with the front axles issues.
I recently just redid my front axles after the PO I purchased from having a shop do some shady work on it (can see Alita's build thread in my sig line). There is a thread running around here with some FSMs for 2004MY vehicle which will get you most of what you need, however I am a paperback kinda guy so I ended purchasing my own copies for my 1998.

Now depending on what exactly is busted, it could be either the front diff (depending on year will be 2 pinion or 4 pinion) or could be axles/hub flanges. There is another thread with some advice on online shops to purchase parts from, we have lots of vendors on here (such as Cruiser Outfitters @cruiseroutfit ) that are incredible to deal and just all around awesome guys. We recommend supporting community vendors before buying elsewhere.

Buuuutttttt.... The most important thing... WE NEED PICS!!!
Great info. I appreciate the help. I plan on getting it towed to my house so I'm not driving it in the condition its in. It also has a brake line issue..a o2 code..needs tires..and brakes. Other than that lol...seems pretty good. I'm looking forward to working on it. Its a 2000 BTW.

Congrats on your Covidapocalypse rig

Turns out the seller gave me a print out from Toyota, similar to a health check, that lists the deferred maintenance items. This is nice as I can start going down the list repairing them. It does need a hub flange, as you mentioned. This is what the dealer listed "RT CV Axle spline hub with snap ring". I have looked for hours for this part and I cannot find it anywhere online. Any suggestions? I was able to find everything else aside from that and I need all new brake lines from master cyl to rear calipers. Can't find the frame rail lines anywhere.

Turns out the seller gave me a print out from Toyota, similar to a health check, that lists the deferred maintenance items. This is nice as I can start going down the list repairing them. It does need a hub flange, as you mentioned. This is what the dealer listed "RT CV Axle spline hub with snap ring". I have looked for hours for this part and I cannot find it anywhere online. Any suggestions? I was able to find everything else aside from that and I need all new brake lines from master cyl to rear calipers. Can't find the frame rail lines anywhere.
Contact Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters (@cruiseroutfit ) and talk with him or his guys. They will get you handled, great crew, great customer service and all that jazz. They may be at HIH so it may take a bit to get ahold of them, not 100% on that though.

This is their newer website (doesn't have everything transferred over yet) and this is what you are looking for..

Contact Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters (@cruiseroutfit ) and talk with him or his guys. They will get you handled, great crew, great customer service and all that jazz. They may be at HIH so it may take a bit to get ahold of them, not 100% on that though.

This is their newer website (doesn't have everything transferred over yet) and this is what you are looking for..
Great. Thank you for the help. This is exactly what I need. I will contact @cruiseroutfit and ask them about the brake lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom