New to Forum Post Turned Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,

Acquired a 2002 LX 470 with 180,000 miles on it 3 months ago. I would start of by saying thank you all for creating such a vibrant community for LC owners. Plus, the knowledge base here is amazing. Even though I have owned the car for so little time, the information available here has served me well. ( this will become very evident shortly)

The list of things I have done since I purchased my 470:

One week into ownership, check engine light came on, got scanned at the local AutoZone the code read "miss fire on cylinder four"
Pulled out the easiest to access coil and plug on the driver side and the spark plug was next to demolished, literally the tip was no where to be found it was level with the rest of the plugs body.
Replaced all the plugs, and a coil (had to go with duramax as one of the coils rubber washer was missing and the rubber part at the bottom which connects with the sparkplug was half gone)
^^The only thing I did on my own without the help of this forum

******* Frequent visits to the forum begin NOW **********
I knew while buying the car that it would need some love but the sparkplug situation made me expedite my maintenance I had planned on the car.

Changes the Diff fluids front and back, along with the transfer case fluid.
Greased the drive shaft.
Did a AHC fluid flush, and got the AHC pressures in spec.

During the oil change on the front diff saw a lot of oil on the passenger side of the engine bay, I was told while buying the car that the valve cover gasket is seeping. So I thought it might have gotten worse and decided to take that on this weekend.

Started with the passenger side, as I was taking everything apart I realized that the source of most of the oil was the steering fluid hoses (they seem to be sweating oil) I think it is the hose clamps, replaced the OEM with the bolt tightening ones and cleaned the oil, If that does not fix the situation will get new hoses and observe the effect.

This is where I want some feedback form people, do hoses really degrade to a point where they actually sweat oil (that is to say the oil molecules make it out of the body of the hose not the ends)?

Decided to leave the driver side valve and sparkplug gaskets alone, changed the PCV valve and grommet as there was a very minor oil sweating.

Things left to do:

Break oil flush,

Transmission oil flush
Another question, should I do the transmission oil flush myself or get the "oil transfer" done from the dealership (the car has all sorts of maintenance records for the first 100,000 miles after the owner changed there is no record of anything done to the car)? Given the situation with sparkplugs and the extremely problematic AHC fluid I am leaning towards a complete oil transfer, Input is much appreciated.

Timing belt job including tensioners, water pump and all (within reason) while you're in there things.

Speakers are struggling, especially the driver side front speaker is making all sorts of extra bass :D
I think the Sub-woofer is blown as well haven't had the time to look into it yet.

P.S Had the "crank no-start" issue come up as well, it was 9pm at a grocery store parking lot, did some reading on the forum, used a flimsy keyring hoop as a wire to get home. Since then I have experimented with a few things, currently am in the process of getting a bypass kit from @medtro. For anyone curious, I am running an actual fuse now did not want to have the circuit without a fuse.

TLDR:
Thank you for all the information you guys share on this forum and answer the following questions please:
Do hoses really degrade to a point where they actually sweat oil (that is to say the oil molecules make it out of the body of the hose not the ends)?
should I do the transmission oil flush myself or get the "oil transfer" done from the dealership (the car has all sorts of maintenance records for the first 100,000 miles after the owner changed there is no record of anything done to the car)?

First off, welcome to the club !! Pics are always good as well, we're weird that way.
Hoses can definately degrade to that point, I would just change them out.
If you feel comfortable flushing the transmission,go for it. otherwise a shop is a good choice.
Sounds like you have a good start to baselining, thanks for sharing !

First off, welcome to the club !! Pics are always good as well, we're weird that way.
Hoses can definately degrade to that point, I would just change them out.
If you feel comfortable flushing the transmission,go for it. otherwise a shop is a good choice.
Sounds like you have a good start to baselining, thanks for sharing !
Thanks for the welcome @FJFOOL. I will upload some pictures soon. The paint is in solid condition and next to no rust so you'll like it. (Just allow me some time)
My question about the transmission fluid was not about doing a flush myself at or going to the dealership. Going to dealership would only be worth the money if they do a fluid "transfer". Was trying to see if people have gotten it done or given my hundy's lack of transmission fluid change does it make more sense to be through and get the "transfer" done on the fluid.
Link to a thread talking about the "transfer" vs flush: transmission fluid change - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/transmission-fluid-change.20426/

Sorry for the two year long hiatus. But we back babyyyy.
Firstly, this is the first picture I could find of my hundy
PXL_20201205_144704500.jpg

The day I took off the side steps before:
PXL_20220827_180815384.jpg

After (also tinted the rear window myself with mixed results)
PXL_20220827_230118934.jpg

Read a couple threads on here and got to building a sleeping platform:
PXL_20220917_203543932.jpg

PXL_20220917_203819803.jpg

Some lake in VA
PXL_20220925_145604920.jpg

Blue Ridge Parkway:
PXL_20230708_191013981.jpg

What's next:
- Installing dedicated wires to the back and putting an inverter in. Would love to run a fan and lights while camping.
- Roof Rack: 80/20 with Stock Roof Rack - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/80-20-with-stock-roof-rack.1135678/
- Rock Sliders
- A winch (without replacing the bumper)

The tires are pretty bad now so I am debating if I want to refinish the wheels in the chrome or not. I am really tempted to have a stealthy (stock looking) build: shinny stock wheels, color matched rock slider and eventually a winch behind the stock bumper.
The plan is to make it out to Moab this year.

The posts will be spread out. Since I usually blow my money on travelling and don't want to post about the regular maintenance items in this thread.

Good on your tackling your issues and getting your hands dirty! Great Looking truck . i plan to build a sleeping platform just like that very soon, just bought the wood !

Good on your tackling your issues and getting your hands dirty! Great Looking truck . i plan to build a sleeping platform just like that very soon, just bought the wood !
@excessive it's one of the most enjoyable things I've done thus far. Building the platform and fixing the speakers. They're enjoyable activities with huge ROI in terms of satisfaction.
FWIW I use a 2inch queen size memory foam topper as the mattress on the platform. Somehow it's more comfortable than my actual bed. I know some people really love their air mattresses but so far I am very pleased with the generic 50$ topper from Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom