New to LandCruiser: Best Resources? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I don't even own a Landcruiser yet, but I am on the hunt for one and looking for some helpful information.

As background I own two Volvo 850 Turbos, this 88 4runner with a 7m-gte supra engine and a VW bug. I do all my own work on these vehicles (with the exception of the bug because it is so darn cheap to have worked on).

I have a few different questions. First, what are the best how-to resources for the FJ80? For example, on my Volvos I can find write ups on any and every mod or general maintenance item you could ever dream of. I just searched for a write up on rebuilding the steering knuckle on an FJ80 and couldn't find anything. Is this typical? Do I just need to pick up a good manual?

Ok, now some questions about buying a Landcruiser. I am looking at a 1991 Landcruiser that has 225k with an asking price of $2900. The steering knuckles need rebuilt, the engine is leaking a lot of oil from somewhere, and it has some misc electrical issues (windows etc. nothing major).

I understand that the 1991 has the 4 liter engine. Is this engine generally more or less reliable than the later 4.5 liter? Also, is there a turbo charging kit available for this engine? (I only own 1 vehicle without a turbo and I'd hate that number to get any bigger). :)

Are these engines prone to leaking from certain seals?

How long could I expect the tranny to hold up (assuming reasonable usage and no abuse)?

Is there a difference in fuel econ between the 4 liter and 4.5 liter engines?

In general, are the earlier or older models preferred? I.e. are there more quirks and bugs in the earlier or later models of the FJ80.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently digging through the first time buying help on this site but had the more specific questions noted above.

Best,

J

Last edited:
this is probably the best resource. give it time- you'll find all your answers with the search function.

look for birfield rebuild, and axle rebuild for starters, (knuckles) and if you are in the FAQ you should find a lot of links to pertinent topics.

good luck and welcome:cheers:

IH8TMUD + a Factory Service Manual and your set!
Obviously you need some mechanical aptitude, but
these rigs are pretty easy to work on for the most part.

Your in good hands now. This forum is the source of unlimited information on landcruisers. Now to answer a few of your questions.

You can find a write-up on how to do just about anything on this forum, it might take a little searching but you can find it.

Don't buy that 91 your looking at, price is way too high.

My opinion of the 80 lineup:

The 91-92 FJ80 engine is extremely reliable, it's a freaking tractor engine. You can neglect it, abuse it, and still count on it to take you to the end of the world and back. The cons of these are the power output is low and the weight of the truck makes it even worse. To me, this isn't a big deal since these are not hot rods and I don't care about speed. This only matters to me because if you put a little bigger tire on it, you will need to re-gear. It also make towing a challenge. The biggest disadvantage for me was then absence of the locker option.

The 93-94 got the 4.5 liter with disc brakes and the locker option. The 4.5 liter is also an extremely reliable engine, but it needs a little more maintenance than the 91-92 but it's still incredibly reliable and good for 300k miles. The 4.5 has noticeably more power. This allows you tow a little more, run a little bigger tire without re-gearing, and drive a little faster. The locker option for me is the biggest advantage of the 93+ models. Everything else being equal, it's worth $2k to retrofit or add lockers to an unlocked truck. Someone might have built a turbo setup for this engine, but I haven't heard of it. The cons of the 4.5 as I see them: the head gaskets tend to blow, but not as bad as the 7MGTE (I had one of those Supras). The vavle cover seals leak after 100k miles but it's a cheap and easy fix. The distributor o-ring leaks after 100k and is also a cheap and easy fix. The oil pans leak and are little more difficult to get to.

The 95-97 is the same 4.5 but with a few added sensors to be OBDII compliant. These also got air bags that I don't care about and un updated dash. These are easier to turbo. There are several members on the forum running turbos. Toyota (TRD) makes a supercharger for these and is a popular add on since it's bolt on and go from Toyota.

Again, I'll say lockers are worth $2k with everything else being equal. On the used car market, lockers don't effect the price at all and can still be found without too much trouble. I also highly recommend getting a southern truck, the rust belt can do nasty things to a vehicle of the age of the 80. This is all my opinion so take it as such.

Where are you located? Post up any other question.

Thanks everyone for your responses. So, what is the 91 I'm looking at worth if it is "way over priced?"

I have no problem waiting around for the right deal; however, it seems that the later models are priced higher than their actaul additional value (especially if they don't have the lockers). Is there really that big a difference between a 91 and a 94. . . 5k worth?

Maybe I should be looking for an early model with low miles.

Best,

J

Welcome! :flipoff2:

First, what are the best how-to resources for the FJ80?
You're there. Roll up to the new guys sticky to get started. There are two of them really.
IH8MUD.com - Announcements in Forum : 80-Series Tech
IH8MUD.com - Announcements in Forum : 80-Series Tech

I just searched for a write up on rebuilding the steering knuckle on an FJ80 and couldn't find anything. Is this typical? Do I just need to pick up a good manual?
Search term: birfield

Ok, now some questions about buying a Landcruiser. I am looking at a 1991 Landcruiser that has 225k with an asking price of $2900. The steering knuckles need rebuilt, the engine is leaking a lot of oil from somewhere, and it has some misc electrical issues (windows etc. nothing major).
Condition is king on any older vehicle. Age & miles is, IMHO, irrelevant on anything this old. You'll have to learn enough so that you can make an educated opinion.

I understand that the 1991 has the 4 liter engine. Is this engine generally more or less reliable than the later 4.5 liter? Also, is there a turbo charging kit available for this engine? (I only own 1 vehicle without a turbo and I'd hate that number to get any bigger). :)
Reliability is relative. Both are great engines.
The 4.5 has a known head gasket flaw - once changed should be OK though.
The 4.0 is an old dog. No other way to put it. But, its a reliable dog.
The 4.5 is a slightly less old dog. Seems spritely if compared to the 4.0 - but it's still not going to shock anyone with it's power.
There are no bolt on trubo kits that I am aware of for either engine. There are some people who have rolled their own.
There is a bolt on supercharger kit for '94? and up 4.5 engines that has been used with modification on all 4.5 engines - do your own research here.

Are these engines prone to leaking from certain seals?
Yes - front & rear oil pans. Generally people either go insane fixing them or live with it.

How long could I expect the tranny to hold up (assuming reasonable usage and no abuse)?
All depends on service history.

Is there a difference in fuel econ between the 4 liter and 4.5 liter engines?
If you're worried about fuel economy, you're looking at the wrong vehicle.

In general, are the earlier or older models preferred? I.e. are there more quirks and bugs in the earlier or later models of the FJ80.
My favorite is the '96. YMMV. Include Lexus LX450 in your search. Same truck, more make up.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently digging through the first time buying help on this site but had the more specific questions noted above
Dig deeper. Learn. You'll have to make your own judgment on the vehicle or find someone in your area to look at it with you - and even then it's judgment based.

Thanks everyone for your responses. So, what is the 91 I'm looking at worth if it is "way over priced?"
It all depends on condition and the enthusiasm of the buyer. YMMV.

I have no problem waiting around for the right deal; however, it seems that the later models are priced higher than their actaul additional value (especially if they don't have the lockers). Is there really that big a difference between a 91 and a 94. . . 5k worth?
IMHO - yes. Power and the availability of superchargers (which may cost as much as the truck) and an engine compartment with room to play.

Maybe I should be looking for an early model with low miles.
You need to find a good example of an early and a late model and test drive them. It's the easiest way to understand the differences. They're both great trucks.

Good luck in your search!

Wow! Great input guys.

Also, look up at the banner ads on the top right. Take notice of the one for American Toyota.

Call the parts dept.

Push button #8 for Dan.

Get OEM parts from an enthusiast that can usually name the part numbers off the top of his head and at a great price.

Give credit card number.

Have said parts packed with love from Beno.

Repeat as needed.

Push button #8 for Dan.

Get OEM parts from an enthusiast that can usually name the part numbers off the top of his head and at a great price.

x2!

It's amazing how different PN's just roll of his tongue!!

I've this before, but I PERSONALY(sp) I would not consider getting an 80 older than '93 unless, of course, it was a diesel! :hillbilly:

I have a '90. :D

Welcome aboard! (Sort of... ;))

I'm with Mot, I wouldn't get anything older than a 93 unless you found a 91-92 in amazing condition with a really low price tag.

I'm with Mot, I wouldn't get anything older than a 93 unless you found a 91-92 in amazing condition with a really low price tag.

Or a diesel like Mot's.

His has a fresh axle job too..........................:lol:

Or a diesel like Mot's.

His has a fresh axle job too..........................:lol:

Diesel is the crown jewel of the 80's, but unless you're not in the US like Mot, it's only a dream. Dang government regulations!

Diesel is the crown jewel of the 80's, but unless you're not in the US like Mot, it's only a dream. Dang government regulations!

If I understand it right, we can make those dreams reality in just another 10 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom