New to land cruisers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
I'm brand new to the world of land cruisers. I got rid of my horribly unreliable jeep wrangler jk unlimited last weekend and pick up a 2001 Land Cruiser with 149,xxx miles. Silver and pretty good lookin'. I do have a couple of newbie questions for you guys though.
1. Is it pretty much common place to take of those running boards immediately? How should I go about it?
2. Would mods change gas mileage as dramatically as it would with my jeep? Or will it just stick around 12-ish always.

I do have some plans for it: Sound about right?
-more aggressive tires for snow (do alot of snowboarding, etc.)
-arb front bumper with winch (I'm not sure which size is the best for the cruiser)
-a mild lift of some sort
-stereo is a must, stock is crap.

I'm not sure of what else, but I'm sure you guys can help me out...
Are there any real cheap mods that the majority do just because it needs it?

Really, anything that you guys could tell me would be great.

Thanks,
Jack.
Land Cruiser.jpg

Running boards are pretty easy, only tricky part is the passenger front, there are some lines that run beside the bracket, with a little patience it will come out without to much pain. ARB with a Warn 9.5K winch would be enough, keep the weight down while keeping a good size winch upfront. I will be going with a 9.5K when the time comes.

Tires depend on what you want to do really, Iron Man and OME are your options for lifts. Choose your rear coils wisely as those dictate load capacity and height. As well as ride comfort.

Cheap mods? Quite a a few

- Remove Running Boards
- Black rims (not everyones cup of tea)
- Black out emblems (not everyones cup of tea)
- HID (says the one who just removed his kit)
- Homemade drawers/platform (in my eyes the 100 really needs it if you plan on carrying heavy gear)

the only gear I really haul is either sailing gear, scuba, or snowboarding...thats about it right now. think the drawers are needed?

the only gear I really haul is either sailing gear, scuba, or snowboarding...thats about it right now. think the drawers are needed?

Not really, I would be more concerned about tying that stuff down. I built a box to store my gear and keep it from flying around in the event of a accident. Safety is what made me build mine, not looks.

pfran42 said:
1. Remove running boards
2. Upgrade tires
3. Sliders

....then mild lift, front bumper, and finally an all LED interior.

I mostly agree.
Loose running boards > sliders so you don't sand blast paint > pick you up some BFG all terrains.

After you do that you won't stop. :D

how much can some sliders be had for?

remember im brand new to land cruisers, as of tmrw.:wrench:

Sup Lax...seen you over at ExPo too. Welcome to Mud!

Lotsa info here for newbies and veterans alike.

As the guys have said, removing running boards is cheapest way to improve the look of your 100. Next would be tires. Depending if you're going to daily drive your truck, and you mentioned snow, I'd recommend Nitto Terra Grapplers, 285/75/16 is a very popular size, and no lift is required. They are great in snow and rain, and wear very well.

Like Nick mentioned, I too got rid of my HIDs. Hit me up if you're looking for a kit.

Sup Lax...seen you over at ExPo too. Welcome to Mud!

Lotsa info here for newbies and veterans alike.

As the guys have said, removing running boards is cheapest way to improve the look of your 100. Next would be tires. Depending if you're going to daily drive your truck, and you mentioned snow, I'd recommend Nitto Terra Grapplers, 285/75/16 is a very popular size, and no lift is required. They are great in snow and rain, and wear very well.

Like Nick mentioned, I too got rid of my HIDs. Hit me up if you're looking for a kit.

Why are you guys taking out the HID's!?!?!

Also, I know you saw the bulls earlier! D.Rose!

Why are you guys taking out the HID's!?!?!

Also, I know you saw the bulls earlier! D.Rose!

I switched to HIRs. I done graduated from the glare side. Helpful tip for Lax here too...since switching to HIRs I am able to see more of what's in front of me. HIRs don't produce a 'white' light, so if you're going for the 'look' go HIDs or even better, retrofit em. Also the light doesn't get 'lost' or doesn't diminish when it's raining, like HIDs do in reflectors. But that's a whole different discussion that's been pointed out in another thread. Oh, I also don't care for the stigma regarding the 'Ebay lights'. I rocked HIDs for over 5 years, so I'm not a h8r by any means.

LJ, *ahem* what happened to your beloved Lakers? NBA west is fallen apart.

I switched to HIRs. I done graduated from the glare side. Helpful tip for Lax here too...since switching to HIRs I am able to see more of what's in front of me. HIRs don't produce a 'white' light, so if you're going for the 'look' go HIDs or even better, retrofit em. Also the light doesn't get 'lost' or doesn't diminish when it's raining, like HIDs do in reflectors. But that's a whole different discussion that's been pointed out in another thread. Oh, I also don't care for the stigma regarding the 'Ebay lights'. I rocked HIDs for over 5 years, so I'm not a h8r by any means.

LJ, *ahem* what happened to your beloved Lakers? NBA west is fallen apart.

Doing a retrofit soon! Scored a pair of H1 morimoto mini projectors with shrouds for $65;)

YEa...Pau gasol disappointed me and bynum...talk about a cheap shot! I hope they trade bynum for dwight like the rumors say lol I hope Rose takes the Heat apart!

Welcome lax'. I'm new to the Cruisers too (ex FJC guy). I agree that the 100s look better without the running boards. But, if you're mainly snow boarding, I'd keep the running boards/steps for now. Don't "loose" the steps until you've got the sliders - assuming your boards go on the roof - then do the bumper and winch.

I race bikes - so my first mod was $1,100 worth of Yakima/Thule stuff on the roof. And, I have NOT removed the steps... 'cause I put the bikes on the roof. Next mod - sliders that double as steps. Oh, and tires, lift... ;)

Welcome. Build it how you like for what your needs are. Gas mileage of a built rig is about 14mpg or so. Buy tires when you need new ones. Where do you live? that can affect how you build also. If I started over again the first mod i would do is ARB front locker.

"It is what is on the inside, not the outside, that makes you stronger"

got the land cruiser back today, shes lookin' good.
can't wait to get started with the mods..

all the speakers are worn out, so maybe thats first

Congrats on your purchase. Welcome to the club. The other posts above have covered your first options. No need to beat a dead horse.

My route was to first remove the running boards. Then on to new tires and rims. Finally I installed a mild lift with Bilstein shocks. Next mod for me is sliders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom