New to ih8mud from Germany - HDJ80 (´95, 24V) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everybody,

thanks for adding me.
I have occasionally visited ih8mud, mainly for the huge expertise that you guys have (I will place a question on ABS sensor re-magnetisation). Yet normally I enjoy our German "Buschtaxi-Forum" - are you aware of that, it also has an 80´s-section?

As a small intro of myself: I am having 80 series (1HD-FT) since 2013, my current one is a 1995 with a small cabin and popup roof (we would call that a "tail elongation" in Germany as it still has 4 doors, mine is a 3-seater). It is currently still possible to drive them in Europe (not in inner cities though due to anti-pollution rules), but it is getting tighter and tighter.

We are doing weekend tours with it (family of 3), plus every other year in our winter I do tours in North Africa (Italian ferry harbour Genova is just 750 km from my place). This Jan. we were with 4x HDJ80 and a guide HZJ105 in Tunisia, in the challenging dunes south of "the famous lake".

Thanks again for having me,
Jochen

IMG_0774.jpeg

Wilkommen! Wo wohnst du in Deutschland?

Welcome to mud and freedom.

Count me as #6 in Germany. I have an 80 in Wehdel, just east of Bremerhaven 👍 Haven’t been there since 2018. Going soon though and am driving down to Fusen, then down to Austria to ho skiing.

Count me as #6 in Germany. I have an 80 in Wehdel, just east of Bremerhaven 👍 Haven’t been there since 2018. Going soon though and am driving down to Fusen, then down to Austria to ho skiing.
Ho skiing is my favourite. The occasional good girl is ok also....

Good to see you out and enjoying (?) yourself - I bet the beer tastes good there. I lived in Namibia for a while, and beer in the desert is the best.

Yes, beer is an important thing here and also in the sand. Funnily, North African customs does not check the cars much upon entry.
(I need more posts to be able to re-edit the above message on size etc. as it seems)

Reactions: RPN
Beer... Yummy!!! I would have to import my local micro brew if I ever went overseas.

Welcome! I lurked for two years after purchasing my LX, before joining. Lol! Good to see an 80 owned by a German. Worked with MB starting in the early 2000s on the purchase of the G-Wagon for our Canadian military. Always wanted one after that. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a conversion on the sides. Is that a one-off or part of the roof conversion?

:cheers: from another German on this here forum

living in the US for more than 34 years by now - got the first cruiser more than 18 years ago

Welcome! I'd love to see some interior pictures of your camper setup :cool:

We Germans love to build these snail houses on cars - in contrast you will hardly find this on French, Italian or Spanish HDJ80, apparently bc. of the warmer weather? The South Europeans rather put a removable pop-up roof tent on the car and keep the LC as the desirable station wagon.

The way mine is built is actually not smart unless you want 3 or more seats: it is min. 200kg heavier + less space/width than chopping off behind the B-pillar and put a light cabin on it. I love it anyway! We can sleep with 2+1 in the "roof", it is 170cm x 230 cm.

Toyo-21.jpg
Toyo-22.jpg

Last edited:
We Germans love to build these snail houses on cars - in contrast you will hardly find this on French, Italian or Spanish HDJ80, apparently bc. of the warmer weather? The South Europeans rather put a removable pop-up roof tent on the car and keep the LC as the desirable station wagon.

The way mine is built is actually not smart unless you want 3 or more seats: it is min. 200kg heavier + less space/width than chopping off behind the B-pillar and put a light cabin on it. I love it anyway! We can sleep with 2+1 in the "roof", it is 170cm x 230 cm.

View attachment 3162598View attachment 3162599
did you build that yourself?

Jochen, interested in your build as looking to do a cabin build (chop) on my 97 80. I'm a little west from you in Ireland

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom