New to forums - not cruisers - question on 1999 100-series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning. We currently own a 2018 4runner, and a 1996 FZJ80 (which I bought new).

We're moving from the SF Bay Area to Southern Utah and are looking to simplify. Wife loves the 4runner, but loves the 100 series land cruisers more. We own the 4runner outright and are looking to sell it and possibly purchase a used LC.

We found one locally, a 1999 with 157K miles - 2 owner car. No rust. Interior is immaculate. Center diff lock. Timing belt was done at 98K miles. Sweet aftermarket stereo with back up cam. Tires with less than 5K miles on them. Water pump was also replaced. Carfax history shows regular service at the two local dealers. The only thing I can find wrong is that the sunroof doesn't open.

Seller is asking $14.5. While I'm familiar with the market for the 80 series, I am downright in the dark when it comes to the 100's. Wondering if this a fair price for this year, this mileage and what I would consider probably close to excellent condition.

Thanks.

Skip

00o0o_5uuTnMiDeVz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_DLjwKGS4j4_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00u0u_2hiCzb9CHcY_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00v0v_dk4oxFJGgnB_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

01313_i52VxneO3NT_0CI0t2_1200x900-2.jpg

Looks great. I would consider it excellent visual condition. But what’s underneath? For a 21 year-old CA truck, expect that every hose and plastic connector in the engine bay has deteriorated to the point of impending failure.

I got my 2000 from the Bay Area as well, where it spent its entire life until coming under my ownership, and I’ve had to replace 90-95% of all rubber and plastic parts that exist.

Personally, I would try to get that price down closer to 12k.

My guess is you’re going to hear everything from "that's way too high" to "clean 100s are hard to find, go for it". It's especially hard for people who bought their 100 in different market conditions to get their head around the current market (this applies to all sorts of purchases, like real estate).

Personally, I think $14.5 sounds a little high, but not crazy. If it's really clean, passes a PPI with flying colors, and it's convenient for you, then make an offer (maybe $12Kish) and do the best you can to get as close to it as possible. On the other hand, if a couple thousand dollars isn't a big deal to you and convenience is more important, then just get a deal done and be happy you can move on to enjoying it.

Additionally, you need to count on spending $ over time to replace wear items. Dig deeper into the service records and see if some of the following have been replaced (others can add more to this list): Radiator, steering rack, control arms, brake master cylinder, and transfer case seals. Also, are you OK with the current tires or will you need to upgrade if you plan to be offroad? All of these things cost money and eventually need to be done, so if they've been taken care of you can justify a higher price.

There will also be tremendous temptation to build it out with fun and expensive upgrades over time :)

Don't tell the seller about Bring a Trailer. That's a BAT quality vehicle and it will easily go for more than $14.5k on BAT.

If the steering wheel leather and front seat aren’t trashed I would say it’s been lightly used. That’s a nice one at a fair price. I would jump all over it.

I can only tell you it wouldn't last long in my market area.

Then....ask yourself, when will another one (with that low mileage, and good condition) show up? Long time....probably.

All 99's have a rear locker as well.

Decent price if you like it... I have found if someone takes care of the interior and paint, they usually have taken care of the engine and mechanicals.

Sunroof is likely an easy fix. You're wife will love it. I've owned quite a few cruisers and I am in love with the 100 series platform.

Appreciate all the replies. I think the seller will gave no problem moving it.

We drove the car for a second time today and I think if we make a change it’ll be a used 200 series. We drove a 2011 with low miles and *surprise* she preferred the truck that costs more than twice as much. If it was me I’d probably stick with the T4R (it’s easy as hell to wrench on) but it’s her call.

Not true - it was optional for both 98 and 99. Seems like most have it, but certainly not all. Nevertheless, this particular 99 does in fact have it!

^^^^^

Correct (U.S. Market).

98-99 Land Cruiser had an open rear diff (standard) with a locking rear diff OPTION.

98-99 LX470 came standard with rear Limited Slip differential.

Following years 2000-2007 they all got ATRAC.

Don't forget to calc in your time. how long does it take to scour web, travel, frustration, etc. Me/myself/I would jump on it, that is if the 200 is just an idea, though a good idea.

Appreciate all the replies. I think the seller will gave no problem moving it.

We drove the car for a second time today and I think if we make a change it’ll be a used 200 series. We drove a 2011 with low miles and *surprise* she preferred the truck that costs more than twice as much. If it was me I’d probably stick with the T4R (it’s easy as hell to wrench on) but it’s her call.
Aye, not surprising. My :princess: likes my 100 but loves her 200.

Not true - it was optional for both 98 and 99. Seems like most have it, but certainly not all. Nevertheless, this particular 99 does in fact have it!

I stand corrected.

I’ll say this, all the cool ‘99’s have a locker ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom