New to forum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just purchased a 1994 Land Cruiser with 185,000 miles for $7,600. After reading a few other posts, it sounds like I paid too much, but vehicle checked out with my mechanic (a TLC veteran). It has lockers, but rear does not engage (dash light just flashes). Front engaged and clawed along nicely. My mechanic told me that with the driving I will be doing, I probably will never need it. I need to put new tires on and would like some input. Mainly in town driving but drive in snow about 4 to 6 months of the year (live at the foot of Mt. Bachelor, OR). Have the factory 16" alloy wheels (I am also looking for 2 replacement center caps that were missing). What tires would be best for a Land Cruiser that probaly won't see many rocks.

A> welcome

B> tires are about the most discussed item in the world....go with a 285/75-16, and search on Nitto, All Terrain, and some other keywords to see what others run for snow. I just installed Dick Cepek Radial F-C II's on mine...

C> rear locker = most likely a corroded contact issue, believe there is a FAQ discussion on fixing it....

Let me be the first to say:flipoff2: Welcome aboard!!
That price isn't whack. If your not really gonna wheel, any decent AT tire will do you fine.

Welcome, again, to the dark side!!:grinpimp:

Driley said:
It has lockers, but rear does not engage (dash light just flashes). Front engaged and clawed along nicely.

You've learned a lot with this test. The Center diff is locking, the ECU is working, the switch is working, all wiring is probably intact.

Next would be to be sure you understand the nuanaces of the rear locks. There are several posts detailing exactly how to "test" all 3 of the diff locks. The rear, in particular, can be stubborn if never used. You'll also need to be sure you have given the dog clutches the opportunity to engage. Without going in to the "whys", just be sure you are on a low traction surface (dirt/gravel/grass), put it in Low range, switch to RR diff-lock, and drive slowly in a circle. It should lock within a few seconds.

Driley said:
(I am also looking for 2 replacement center caps that were missing)

C-Dan is the man.

-B-

Last edited:
Welcome.

I use the bridgestone revos in 285 and they're a good tire here in Vermont, which I suspect to be similar to your terrain and weather in Oregon. I'll probably put them on my taco too when I can justify new tires (the stock BFG tires stink in wet/snow just like the stock Michelins did on the 80).

Charlie

Thanks for the info...

Thanks for the info! I will start researching the threads for the rear locker. My mechanic told me to buy BF Goodrich or Michelin (Same Company - Different products). I will take a look at the Bridgestone. I just need a good all season tire that doesn't sound like a tank heading down the road!

Thanks again!

I am impressed with the stock michelins LTX (I think that's what it is.) I like the way they work in snow, and on dry roads the big tank handles very well with them imho. No road noise. I have done moderate wheeling with them and they were sufficient. They probably suck in mud, but just put chains on if you have to go through deep mud. For your needs I don't think you will be disapointed.

I'll second the Bridgestone Revo 285's. Nice tire. Like performance and look much better than stock Michelin LTX.

Regarding the rear locker - follow Beo's advice. You could even chance locking them up on asphalt briefly, do a turn and see if the rear tires 'chirp'. If so, you've just got a bad sensor and the rears are really locking up just fine. Quick call to cruiserdan for the part, 10 minutes under the rig and you've got a working sensor. Just went thru this. Easy way to tell if it's just the sensor and perhaps unused, stuborn lockers is to pull the connector to the rear sensor and short it with a trusty paperclip. If the dash light is then 'on' when you 'lock' the rear you probably just have a bad sensor. The sensor is located on the front side of the rear diff just behind a small protection plate. You don't have to remove the plate to remove the sensor wiring harness. Give that a try. Beyond that, if the lockers haven't been used, they are probably just like stubborn teenagers!

Welcome! After keeping an eye on the 80's market in the PNW for several years, the price does not seem out of line. The thing that really matters is, that if it is worth that much to you, you should be satisfied with paying that price.

Firetruck reply

I drove about 200 miles in every direction looking at Land Cruisers. Checked out a 92 that had spent too much time at the coast (every latch and every unpainted metal piece was covered in rust). My mechanic gave it a "clean bill of health" mechanically, but steered me away due to all of the rust. Looked at a 1987 and 1988 that were not appreciated by their previous owners (i.e. interiors were ransacked by wolverines). I really was just looking for a vehicle for winter driving and that I could throw my canoe on and head up to the Cascade Lakes (first lake is 10 miles from my driveway) without worring about road ruts and bad terrain. My mechanic was the one that told me that a Land Cruiser was the best and only option. I detail vehicles on the side and have returned the interior on my 94 to "almost" new. I have a 1980 6 series BMW and spend alot of time on the posting boards for that car. I love having a vehicle that has a following and people passionate about taking care of them.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and I hope that my future questions are not too ignorant!

Welcome, and I second the vote for the Revos. Great all-around tire, not too noisy, WAY more grip and wet weather handling than BFG AT

Welcome from one newbie to another. Price sounds reasonable. As others have mentioned, the Bridgestone Revos are great. I just had my first chance to try them in the snow and they are great and they are great in the wet - no problems in standing water at high speeds. I think Costco had the best price here, but didn't have them in stock, so I talked the local Firestone shop into match the price. Unfortunately, I didn't do my homework and I went with the stock size and I wish I had gone with the 285 size instead, which are a LT (light truck) tire, which I understand is a more durable tire, plus they give you a little bit of lift. The Revos are great on the dry roads as well.
Enjoy.

FYI - It's my understanding that Costco, while prices are good, will not put anything but OEM stock size on your vehicle.

Driley - so what do you use on your interior? Is it leather?

Welcome Driley:flipoff2:

Hey, maybe you'd know - what's the best solvent for getting aftermarket window tint off the windows? Mine's all shot to hell.

Reply to Brentbba

I have leather interior and the previous owner had dogs. There are some scratches that will take some dye, but no tears. I have tried many products and keep coming back to Griot's Garage. Their "Interior Cleaner" is the best all around cleaner (no dyes or harsh chemicals) and is good on leather, vinyl, plastic and carpets. The leather conditioner and vinyl & rubber dressing are very good (but expensive).

OZCAL reply

3M general purpose adhesive cleaner is the stuff I use. Just peel off as much as possible and then soak a rag in the stuff and start wiping. It took me about a half hour to get every little bit of the glue off one window on my old BMW, but the driver/passenger windows are about twice the size of my Land Cruiser. The cleaner is also great for removing tar and road grime from the exterior (dead bugs wipe right off) and is safe on clear coat. It will just dry out rubber & plastic, so follow up with a good dressing.

Last edited:
Driley,

Let's see some pics!

Welcome aboard!! :D

Mot

welcome aboard :flipoff2:

lots of guys seem to like the Revos...

LOL...Ransacked by wolverines...I when I get home from work I will tell my kids I have a new nicname for them....welcome. The 80's are great for roof topable boats:flipoff2:
rtg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom