New to forum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I just recently purchased my fj62 1989 love the car so far! Needs some work.. my biggest concern is the leak coming from the transmission is has gradually gotten worse took it to a shop twice and nothing was done. I know I need to replace the speedometer cable but I’m almost sure that wouldn’t cause the leak from the transmission? If anyone has had similar leaks through transmission any helpful tips are appreciated even some good mechanics recommendation in the Phoenix area!

4769F8CF-2B87-416C-A0B8-3781BC2A4C7E.png

3509C042-CE7A-4B97-BACD-EF8003868479.jpeg

nice rig.
crawl underneath and get a better pic or two of where it is actually leaking will help a bunch. just showing a puddle under the rig doesn't help diagnose the problem.
do you know if it is red? which would be ATF or green/brown that smells like gear oil

Here in California we have places where you can wash your own car with a pressure wand, soap extruding brush, etc. Usually there is a station or two that has an under car washing wand. If you can find one of these places, clean the underside, then drive it around, then take pictures where the leak is coming from. If you take pictures without cleaning first, it will just be an oily mess.

The speedometer cable has a seal at the transfer case that can go bad, allowing oil to leak out. So yes, don't rule out the speedo cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom