New to forum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everybody.
I finally regeistered to forum after few months of lurking.

I browsed forum and SOR archive yet could not find precise answer to my little problem.
LX 450 ,'97 with 62 K, lately purchased.
Yesterday, upon starting, I noticed that starter did not disengaged. Shutting down engine cut off fuel - engine down, starter still going. I momentary disconected battery -no result.
Disconnected for 5 minutes - no effect. As soon as battery was reconnected - starter was going.
Finally disconnecting the battery and banging starter several times with heavy wrench stopped problem.
Rest on the night and today - no problem. Several start-stops - works fine.

My question is...what do I need to look at?
Replace plunger? Clean inside, aroung the plunger?
I do not have infamous " solenoid click and no start".
I do not feel well with just ignoring it and hoping it will not happen again...

I appreciate input.

Andre

You need new contacts and a plunger right now. I would not drive the vehicle unless you have to. If you do need to drive it, be prepared to disconnect the battery in a big hurry when it locks up again.

Oh, welcome to the board. :cheers:

D-

Cruiserdan,
Thanks for reply.
How can I tell difference between 1.4 and 2.0KW starters?

Andre

There is a foil tag on the field coil housing, it will have a part number on it. It will be 10 digits and will begin with 28100-. It is most likely a 28100-66060 which is 2.0kw.

D-

28100-66060 is on mine. Thanks.
Can plunger be bought alone? Gasket?

Andre

[quote author=padre link=board=2;threadid=12107;start=msg110715#msg110715 date=1077770557]
28100-66060 is on mine. Thanks.
Can plunger be bought alone? Gasket?
Andre
[/quote]

Since you are taking it apart, replace both the plunger and the contacts. They are purchased seperately. i can't remember if a gasket comes with one of those part sets.

Send C-Dan a PM on what you need and he can fix you up.

I've got my starter contacts and plunger sitting in my shop just waiting to get a little time.

Thanks for replies.
I will check local Toy first.

Andre

i don't blame you as you really shouldn't drive it in this condition. Best to get on the road quickly to avoid withdrawl symptoms. ;)

R

Dan's the man for these parts, but I agree that you should waste no time in fixing this, so the local dealer is a viable option.

The gasket is made of rubber and is reusable (unless you somehow really bung it up, but I can't imagine how you'd do that). It doesn't come with either the plunger or the contacts, each of which are sold separately as Riely said.

The R&R is actually much easier than the description on the SOR page...imho.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom