New to forum....Suspension / Ride Height Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi - New to forum and recently acquired a new (to me) 1978 FJ40. I love all classic vehicles but have mostly done cars up to this point (have a 73 vette I have done all of the work on and sold a 57 bel air which I did everything on as well except body work) so the FJ and old rigs are new to me.

So I am trying to figure out what suspension and or lift I may have on my rig. As any good noob should, I did a search on the forums and learned a few things:
1) Front OEM shackles are 2 3/4"
2) At stock, top of spring to frame should be about 12"
3) To run 33's, you need to have either lift or fender wells cut (I am running 33x10.5 on 15 rims)

Here are the measurements I took last night
Front Suspension
- Shackles 2 3/4" center to center (mounted in stock forward position)
- Spring Length approx 42" center to center (as crow flies)
- Top of spring to frame approx 9 3/4"

Rear Suspension
- Shackles 6" center to center mounted at rear
- Spring Length approx 48"
- Top of Spring to Frame 10 3/4" to 11"

Here are my questions
1) I would like to swap out my suspension but still allow me to park my FJ in the garage. I would like to stay around the same ride height maybe slightly higher. So is my system stock ride height? Lower? 2" lift? It "looks" higher so is it a simple spring lift? Then again the spring to frame distance is low.
2) Any recommendations on all around systems that wont break the bank? The rig will see some light OHV but also a lot of tooling around at the beach, etc. Would like to replace springs, shocks and hardware at once.
3) Does the shackle relocation on the front suspension make that big a different such as on the Cool Cruiser kit?

Pic for reference

Thanks in advance
Shane
Portland OR

fj.jpg

Sorry. Forgot to ask one more question
1) What else do I need to take into consideration with a winch and BBC 454 in the front? Obviously, need stiffer springs. Any good vendors who will help me customize a kit?

I'd bet a 4" spring lift with those 33's would fit in a 7' garage door. A BBC and a 2F are similar in weight. I wouldn't worry about custom springs.

I run pro comp 2" springs with 33x10.5. They are a good riding spring and very affordable. Not too tall and gives good clearance over tires.

I'd bet a 4" spring lift with those 33's would fit in a 7' garage door. A BBC and a 2F are similar in weight. I wouldn't worry about custom springs.

Thanks. I didn't think the 2F was that heavy of an engine. I am going to see what additional clearance I have with my garage door tonight.

If I could buy them here for your prices I'd go Bilstein any day of the week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom