new to forum, need transfer case help!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am purchasing a late 86' landcruiser w/ 4 speed manual trans. This biggest problem with the truck is that the front driveshaft has come completly out of the transfer case. The current owner said he was driving sown the road and heard a grinding noise. He pulled overand the front driveshaft had come completly out of the transfer case and was draging on the road. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I have never worked on 4wd. Does this sound like a major repair, or did some sort of flange just brake off. Im sorry I am probably not giving much details, but again I just dont know much about transfer cases. When I looked at the truck, I saw where he just proped the driveshaft back on the frame, and he drove it home in 2wd. Any insight on how these work, or what I should look for would be great. I am hoping that worst case, I just find a used transfercase for replacement. I think im getting a pretty good deal on the truck. It has sat for 5 years so it will need carb cleaned and some standard tuneup repairs, but body and interior are flawless, motor runs as long as you keep pouring a little gas in the carb. He is selling it to me for 500.00 Oh, has anyone ever heard of this happening to the driveshaft?

I'm no expert but I have worked with the front DS a few times.

Is it just seperated? or is something actually broken, like the U-joints?

If the truck has a big lift, the DS could possibley seperate under extreme flexing, but I doubt it would do it driving down the road.

Hope its just the DS, that would be cheap. Probably get one here for a hundred or so.

did the whole flange come off? or did the drive shaft just come off the bolts? or like above did a u joint fall apart. either way the transfer case isnt terribly bad to rebuild

The driveshaft is still connected to the u-joint. The back side of the u-joint where it goes into the transfercase is where something is broken/disconnected. I wish I could give a better description, I just dont know what any of the terms are, and do not have a correct one to referance. POssibly the slip yoke?

did the whole flange come off? or did the drive shaft just come off the bolts? or like above did a u joint fall apart. either way the transfer case isnt terribly bad to rebuild

Im thinking the whole flange. Im not sure what it would have connected to, as I cant see inside the transfercase. the u joint assembly seems to be in tact

If you can see into the TC can you see the splined shaft that should be at the housing or is the shaft end missing there should be a flange on the end of the shaft that bolts to the DS.

The front output shaft is the shaft that is the internal in the transfer case. This shaft extends from the aluminum transfer case housing about two inches. That shaft is splined 360 degrees with the very end
threaded, about the last inch, for a nut close to an inch in diameter. Normally this wouldn't be visible
because a yoke ( a square flange with four bolt holes, internally splined ) slides on this shaft, partially into the t-case housing held secure by the large nut in the center of the flange, blocking view of the shaft.
The end of the driveshaft will have a flange that is the mirror image of the flange that is on the front of the t-case. They mate using four bolts roughly 7/16 diameter ( these are really metric bolts so all the thread sizes are USA equivalents ) . Which side of the two flanges the damage is present
will tell you whether the t-case needs repair or simply a driveshaft issue.

because there is a slip joint to allow the drive shaft to change length when you go over bumps, etc., you may have lost part of the drive shaft already. If it looks long enough to mate up with the transfer case then you're OK, otherwise you might need some more parts. Here are some diagrams of the shaft and how it mates up to the transfer case. Maybe post some pics so we can give you more specific advise.
transfer & propeller shaft.jpg
propeller shaft.jpg

This is a situation where pictures might help, you think?

Good.

You'll find a digi cam is your best friend for rapid and accurate help, and learning about your new cruisah!

Where are you located?

Worst case would be be sourcing and rebuilding a used transfer case. For $500 you should go buy the truck NOW.

Last edited:
So I was finally able to take a couple of pics of the problem. I hope these will help. I also discovered when I crawled under the cruiser that I can push the driveshaft back into the tc and if I play with it a bit it seems to go all the way in and seems to turn correctly. However, I can also pull it right back out, and I'm sure thats not right. Anyways, here are the 2 pics I took. I hope they will provide some insight.
IMAG0202.jpg
IMAG0201.jpg

unhook that drive shaft and there is a big nut that is supposed to tighten and hold that all together, then re tighten and stake. but thats pretty bad. i would think you should look into rebuilding sometime soon. but try

I will give that a try. I am hoping to bring it home this weekend. Shouldnt there be a bearing that goes around the slip yoke, or does it just sort of float in there once its tightened down?

I believe that is the race/bearing retainer or oil slinger.... Don't remember exactly what's in there, Either way, seems like yours is toast.

I think the T'case has to come apart. It's not just a loose nut. IIRC, there's a snap ring on the end of that output shaft that may have popped off ?.
IMAG0201.jpg

Last edited:
My concern is that it not only has come apart inside, but that the splined shaft is damaged or broken. Every rebuild kit I have seen only has berings and gaskets. I have not seen a kit that has new splined shafts. Hopefuly its just the bolt but I doubt it. How hard is it to rebuild the t-case?

Rebuild is fairly easy, depending on your skill - Rebuild kits will not come with that shaft. Aftermarket ones are available, as well as Toyota and used. I had to replace mine and new Japanese aftermarket was about $170 from SOR, only $30 more than used.

Using the FSM as a guide, you should be able to do it. Only hard part is pressing off the bearings and gears from the output shaft - what's on the other side of the part that came out - if you don't have a press. But you can always take it to a machine shop or Land Cruiser shop and have them do that for you. I did the first time and it was $40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom