New to forum, elecrical Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

My wife and I just purchased a 1989 HJ61VX and are both new to the Landcruiser world. This forum looks to be very helpful.

I am looking at getting a voltage converter and am wondering about wiring it to the small black box inside the front right fender called "power outlet". It has terminals that are labelled IGN, ON and +B. If I wire a harness from here to the voltage converter, will I need to use any relays?

I only plan on running a stereo as far as electrical loads go, no amp or anything like that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Todd,you are in the right place,l have been lurking on this forum for a while,it's time for a bio.
We should form a Winnipeg LC ciub.
Simon

For the converter, look at http://gscruiserparts.com/index.html. You should find what you looking for.

For the technical resource ... for sure, crusher, Greg_B and some other forum user can halp you. I'm not your man, my cruiser is 12V.

Bye and welcome.

pl510 said:
Hello,

My wife and I just purchased a 1989 HJ61VX and are both new to the Landcruiser world. This forum looks to be very helpful.

I am looking at getting a voltage converter and am wondering about wiring it to the small black box inside the front right fender called "power outlet". It has terminals that are labelled IGN, ON and +B. If I wire a harness from here to the voltage converter, will I need to use any relays?

I only plan on running a stereo as far as electrical loads go, no amp or anything like that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Many 24V to 12V converters run right from the battery poles (high side positive pole for 24V, and lowside negative pole for ground). It will not hurt them. I would imagine some strictly 24-12 converters will not care if you go from the always on terminal on that power outlet, and chassis/frame ground. The Solar converter could be wired like this too, if you are not interested in the load balance feature.

There are a number of threads on converter installs in this forum.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=33070 is one very helpful one that details information on the Solar Converter.

I plan on adding a HD relay to mine, between the fuse strip and the "balance" line (in place of the HD marine switch) and activating it from the keyed power side of that power outlet. This will leave the converter in 24V-12V simple convert mode all the time, and add load balance when running only. When I get time to do the install I will run it for a while, then post results.

hth's

gb

Thanks for the help! The link that was posted was quite helpful. I think I will plug and play for now and work on a load balancing feature in the future. I bought a 24v-12v converter and will hook it to the "power outlet" for now. It's there, I figure I might as well use it. Now I need to figure out a fuse box. Hella's look cool but I may have trouble finding them in Winnipeg.

Thanks again, this looks like an awesome resource!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom