New to FJ60, Basic Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I am new to this site and the 60 series. I have an '84 FJ60 (white) and an '86 FJ60 (brown) that I am going to mix and match between to create a weekend/camping truck to keep and a nice driver to sell. Photos attached (the '86 is the one I want to keep). I'll go into more detail as I start down the path on each of these, but first I have a few basic questions I'm hoping somebody can help with.

1. I think I want to treat a little surface rust on the undercarriage with a power wash and some Eastwood rust treatment/preventive products (I'm in Missouri). I have a power washer, but how the hell do you get under there without a real auto shop lift? Jacks and jack stands only appear to get you up to 21-24 inches.

2. Can I buy headrests and headrest inserts so I can install them in the second row? Is that relatively easy?

3. I have two long jump seats and shoulder belt sets in one truck that I plan to move to the other, but they don't seem very safe because they face sideways, don't have headrests and don't have much frame under them. I found a 3rd row seat from an '06 Highlander that looks like it might work with a little fab work. Is that a bad idea or does anybody have any good ideas for a solid third row seat. (I really don't want to spend $1200 and wait 12 weeks for the Littlepassengers setup).

Thanks!

84.jpg
86.png

Hey,
Jack stands ok but even better are the little drive-up ramps (whatever they are called) Just be very careful.
Power-washing to cleanup and see what you are doing. I am not familiar with Eastwood products, a lot of guys spend a very dirty afternoon with a wire wheel, I am a big fan of POR-15, available online, then paint and coat over that.
I have never seen a set up for back seat headrests but that does not mean they don't exist.
Can't speak to seat issues.
Good luck,
Walt

I know you said you didn't want to go the Littleseats route, but I was searching for a third row seat last year as well and couldn't be happier with their product. I remember seeing a few folks who went with a Bestop seat and they looked good also.

Littleseats sent me several fabric samples and while not exact, it's close to a factory look and the entire seat is a very high quality... in accordance with the price. Very easy install as well. The frame rails attached to the body allow for a quick-change front or rear facing setup.

Just my two cents, but found it worth the price and lead time... Will be watching to see what you end up with.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1987-fj60-build-in-ga.794566/#post-9166830

image.jpg

Thanks BluewaltFJ60. I ended up finding a local place that will do the cleaning and rust preventive coating. They use something called Chassis Saver that is supposedly equivalent to POR15 but cheaper. I'm getting that done ASAP to protect this thing. For the second row, I will either search for a replacement backrest from a 62 (which had headrests) or I will go all out and replace the bench with buckets (unlikely).

Chris8760, that is a great looking seat. I tend to agree about getting what you pay for, but I'm going to keep searching. Appreciate the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom