New to Fj40's, need some suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I recently decided to pickup a project my father dropped a while ago and finish restoring our 1978 fj40. We've had this fj40 in the family for about 15 years or so. It used to run with no issues but had alot of rust. So he decided to have to body and interior restored however at some point he forgot to put it back together. ::Facepalm::

At this point the body is pretty much good to go minus paint and windows (I have all of them but they just need to get installed). From what he says he thinks it needs a new gas tank and a carb. rebuild/replacement.

Now I've done some research on gas tanks and it looks like I do want a metal one and not poly but im wondering if there is anyone around that has a poly tank that has good things to say about them.

Secondly, im having a hard time finding an OEM/stock carb. replacement for the 2F. Im sure they arent available from Toyota anymore but as there are alot of aftermarket parts manufactures for the FJ40, I figured maybe im over looking some options, please let me know if this a futile effort.

Here are some pics in case you were ready to say that it doesnt exist without pics ;)

MVIMG_20191006_124607.jpg

MVIMG_20191006_124541.jpg

MVIMG_20191006_124528.jpg

IMG_20191006_124620.jpg

IMG_20191006_122148.jpg

P.S. excuse the garage mess! Wanting to work on the FJ40 has promoted it all to get cleaned since taking the pics:rofl:

I'm assuming you still have the carb? If so, you could just have Mark @65swb45 rebuild it.

I haven't worked with him personally, but a ton of people recommend him on here. Looks like a great place to start. Also stick with a steel tank. What's believed to be wrong with your tank?

Imho do not go with Polly tanks... they are smaller ... you need the gas :)

Nice looking Cruiser BTW

And welcome to mud!

Look up Gotham City Cruiser... your local TLCA club... several knowledgeable guys in the group

Thanks for the local cruiser club suggestion, I was looking for that!

I'm assuming you still have the carb? If so, you could just have Mark @65swb45 rebuild it.

I haven't worked with him personally, but a ton of people recommend him on here. Looks like a great place to start. Also stick with a steel tank. What's believed to be wrong with your tank?

I do still have the carb. and could most likely fumble through rebuilding as both I and my father a mechanics but just wanted to see what the options were.

My tank is leaking pretty bad right now out of some tube that comes out of the side of the tank. I made the mistake of moving the old one recently and ended up with a bunch of gas on the garage floor.

If you want to keep your carb on this side of the country, Jim Chenoweth at TLC performance offers quality rebuilds. The fuel tank should be available from your local dealer which will save you on shipping. You should be able to get a discount if you ask.

Actually, I have found the gas tank at the dealer and it costs pretty close to $450. I also found them from some of the aftermarket shops as well but around the same price.

I'm sure you could find a local company to repair your tank?

Very solid start to an FJ40 there. Where can I get a set of those bitchin' bias ply ultra-knobby offroad tires you have? ;) And please install the bezel upside down, so we can jump your case for that, too!

I think Cool Cruisers of TX sells steel aftermarket (or OEM) tanks. I would stick with steel at all costs.

Do you have the part number handy?

I ended up getting it from the Toyota dealer a few weeks ago and haven't it written down at work, however I have also found this massive part catalog site that some of you might know of that has all the part numbers you could ever want for any Japanese vehicle. Check it the link for the FJ40LV gas tank assembly page here: Fuel tank & tube for Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40LV - Amayama

:cool:

I ended up getting it from the Toyota dealer a few weeks ago and haven't it written down at work, however I have also found this massive part catalog site that some of you might know of that has all the part numbers you could ever want for any Japanese vehicle. Check it the link for the FJ40LV gas tank assembly page here: Fuel tank & tube for Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40LV - Amayama

:cool:

That’s the site I was going to check. They have a lot of parts that are unavailable here.

That’s the site I was going to check. They have a lot of parts that are unavailable here.

I did inquire about the gas tank and it seems that since they have updated the price on that page I sent you because it wasn't there at all before. so I assume it really depends on what you are looking for to be honest. I think anything available at the dealer will prob be available here as well.

I would hit them up for whatever you are looking for tbh, it wasn't easy but they will give you the information you are looking for eventually.

I just didn't pursue it because I figure shipping a gas tank from .JP is prob just as expensive as it is here but then again it is 250$ less :confused:

Very solid start to an FJ40 there. Where can I get a set of those bitchin' bias ply ultra-knobby offroad tires you have? ;) And please install the bezel upside down, so we can jump your case for that, too!

I think Cool Cruisers of TX sells steel aftermarket (or OEM) tanks. I would stick with steel at all costs.

Dude I'll sell you these tires! There prob original I'm sure :rofl:

I did find the tank at CCOT, as most of these body panels are actually from them, I naturally went to them first to look for it.

I did inquire about the gas tank and it seems that since they have updated the price on that page I sent you because it wasn't there at all before. so I assume it really depends on what you are looking for to be honest. I think anything available at the dealer will prob be available here as well.

I would hit them up for whatever you are looking for tbh, it wasn't easy but they will give you the information you are looking for eventually.

I just didn't pursue it because I figure shipping a gas tank from .JP is prob just as expensive as it is here but then again it is 250$ less :confused:

We are currently wrapping up a pretty extensive rebuild on our ‘72. I have an account at our local dealer but Amayama has saved me a few times on unavailable parts.

Take note you have a 79-84 bib (square bezel) 78 should be round .
What is the plan for the body color
I'm 100% sure it's a '78 due to the Vin/Vin plate/and lastly due to the fact that the rusty bezel that came off the car is round.

What makes you think it's a '79?

Looks round to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom