New to FJ40's and IH8mud! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there!

I recently picked up a 1971 FJ40. The fellow that owed it before me installed a rebuilt 305 and a TH350. He also tacked on new metal to the rear fenders, rear wheel wells and rear cargo floor. It currently has the factory vacuum assist transfer case attached with an advance adapters trans-tcase adapter. It came with an additional 4 speed with the mechanical transfer case. I plan to install a twin stick and a floor mounted auto shifter. It has a Saginaw Gm605 steering gear but does not have a column or intermediate shaft. Glass is all there but not installed. Brake booster is there (I assume from a newer FJ) but no master cylinder.

I think my first attack will be to get the Auto stick and twin sticks in place, brakes, steering and then getting it running.

I will start a build thread once I get back to work ( I am a tattooist and have been told not to work for a bit because of COVID ) and have more money.

Thanks!
fj40.jpg

Welcome! And thank you for not calling it an FJ :clap:

'71 with a rollbar, nice. '71 is a great FJ40 year.

However, you have floor shifting - which it didn't originally have. Know that water can migrate into your gear boxes from the sticks, and that it would be wise to keep that part of the truck's interior dry, and get the oil drained in them soon, if you suspect that the area may have ever seen water.

I need to see better photos of your steering gear box/mounting. I probably have the steering drive shaft you need, but I need to know the diameter and spline count of your steering gear box input shaft.

I've been referencing Ih8mud for a while now but nervous to join haha! I plan on keeping the SBC and TH350 and I know a lot of people here are against that.

I need to see better photos of your steering gear box/mounting. I probably have the steering drive shaft you need, but I need to know the diameter and spline count of your steering gear box input shaft.
I appreciate the offer but I'm not sure the route the steering will need to take yet.

I had a 71 a long time ago. It’s a great year model.

Welcome! Post lots of pics, ask lots of questions, but most importantly......Enjoy the 40 Journey! I am used to trading parts for parts but now maybe I can trade parts for new ink :cheers:

Welcome to the mad mate!

====
1984 BJ42, frame-off restored, 4E9 Toyo beige
1983 BJ45, resto project

Welcome! My 40 series also started out life as a 71' but has been "upgraded" by previous owner as well.

I've been referencing Ih8mud for a while now but nervous to join haha! I plan on keeping the SBC and TH350 and I know a lot of people here are against that.
BCFJ40, don't spend too much time worrying about what the purist think, they are their own group of people, evidently happy with the amount of money they put into their investments. Know that your rig will pull a travel trailer, and hill climb better than theirs will. Some day you'd really be happy switching that TH350 to a 700R4, it has a lower first gear (even lower than a stock 3 speed or 4 speed), and an overdrive high gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom