new to area. Hello (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, just moved up here from dry warm (hot) arizona. Thought I would say hello and introduce myself to the local group.

My name is Brian, my truck is a 65 fj45. (I have had several fj40s and a few 80 series in my past, but this is my only cruiser right now). Just finished building it last year, took it for a couple debug runs in the desert but still have a few punch-list items before it is truely "done". Having settled in here and unpacked most of my stuff, I am hoping to get to work on those and be ready for a summer of wheeling (I presume that is when you do it up here the most).

When I do head out ont he trail, I hope I can tag along with some of you to learn the ropes of driving in mud and stuff (I am more used to rocks and dirt, not trees and mud).

Anyway, I'm up here in Renton (fairwood the locals call it, but the postoffice calls it Renton).

Brian
DSC00893.jpg

Thats some sweet cruisers. Welcome

Awesome 45! Welcome to the area, there's plenty of great wheeling out here year round, it's just in the snow!

Terrain differs based on location... the biggest divide I've seen is west/east of the Cascades. I've been checking out a lot of the national forest and wildlife refuge areas east of the Cascades this winter.

Mike

Oh my..... Thanks for the desktop background. I am currently looking to be a passenger in a '66 FJ45 on Sunday's. I'm so glad to meet you. I think you will find several people here of similiar off road desires and capabilities. But really, can I go on a ride with you?

Not kidding.

sapper76

we will have to see if we can hook you up for a co-pilot ride. I got a few things left to finish up first though.

Hey, how strict are the cops up here about mud flaps? I had heard they were pretty much jerks about it. I havent installed them yet, but I do have the materials to do so, but would rather not as they are ugly.

I would not give them a second thought. I don't run them with 35's and I use mine as a daily driver in the summer. This time of year (gravelled roads) is the worst for windshields and I personally don't drive much during winter. You're trailer might enjoy them however.

RCW 46.37.500: Fenders or splash aprons.

Straight from the horses mouth. You've been good for 5 years : )

I'm still pretty excited about a 45 in the mix.

i would go to the dot web site and check it out for sure because. I know there is a bumper hieght requirement that is pretty low compared to all other states and if i remember correctly if your tires hang out from the body too much and if more the half of the tire is visable from behing its a big no-no.
One of the 4wheel mags just did a write up about all the diff states and what was involved

Did you read the site I had posted? It says as wide as the tires and down to axle. I'm not sure you need to be more specific. WSDOT did not have the info, and this is where Washington State Patrol, and WSDOT get thier marching orders. Unsure of what "check it out for sure" means.

bumper

I think my rear bumper just barely meets the legal height requirement. I guess I will have to do the mud flaps, but I am goig to make them easily removable so I can at least make my truck pretty for pictures and off-roading. And yes, my trailer will appreciate the mudflaps. I have only towed the airstream with it once as a test, and for now the airstream has stayed behind in arizona (I figured a dry climate is better for it and I have no place to keep it up here just yet).

Sell the trailer to me. I will store it at my house: )
I'd have to look but perhaps some magnet flaps would work. I looked for a trooper today to ask what the fine would be but did not see one. My sheriff friend said he doesn't ticket for flaps; but he would if you broke his windshield.

too fast

To give me a ticket, they have to catch me first.... :D My truck is like a slippery highpowered bullet... top speed of 85mph can easily outrun most cops (well, the ones on mountainbikes anyway).

Automatic or a Ranger transfer on steroids? Would you be interested in trading for a '76 40 series with a top speed of 75? I'd throw in some mud flaps.

Automatic. So I get the overdrive from that, plus the big tire overdrive too.

I am afraid I will have to pass on the trade, even with the inclusion of mudflaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom