new to A440F, have some questions for you Americans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just picked up a nice clean HJ61 Sahara (yep, 12HT hehe). It has an auto box unlike my old silver 60G which runs the 5spd (12HT also).

I have searched this site and google but haven't found the answers I need. I am sure they are there but would rather not trawl through dozens of threads to piece it together.

Here they are.

When cold my tranny needs alot of revs to shift from 2nd to 3rd. Why?

I cannot detect torque convertor lock-up. From what I have found searching this is likely to be a blocked port in the tranny? Or something else?

I have also found downshifts rare unless 100% throttle is used. Is this a simple kickdown cable adjustment?

Is my auto simply old and tired?

I really like the auto behind the 12HT and I am sick of changing gears anyway. If I can fix these probs I will most likely leave this vehicle as an auto and just kick back with my drinks in the fridge next to me!

thanks guys

I have just picked up a nice clean HJ61 Sahara (yep, 12HT hehe). It has an auto box unlike my old silver 60G which runs the 5spd (12HT also).

I have searched this site and google but haven't found the answers I need. I am sure they are there but would rather not trawl through dozens of threads to piece it together.

Here they are.

When cold my tranny needs alot of revs to shift from 2nd to 3rd. Why?

I cannot detect torque convertor lock-up. From what I have found searching this is likely to be a blocked port in the tranny? Or something else?

I have also found downshifts rare unless 100% throttle is used. Is this a simple kickdown cable adjustment?

Is my auto simply old and tired?

I really like the auto behind the 12HT and I am sick of changing gears anyway. If I can fix these probs I will most likely leave this vehicle as an auto and just kick back with my drinks in the fridge next to me!

thanks guys

These transmissions are very sensitive to the transmission fluid level. If you haven't already, I would start off with a fluid change and a cleaning or replacing of the filter screen. A low fluid level will also cause you to not go into torque converter lockup.

The cable often referred to as the "kickdown cable" is actually a throttle position sensing cable. Does the shift from 2nd to 3rd also seem pretty harsh? If so, then the cable could need adjusting. It could also need to be replaced as it might be sticking. You can try lubing it as well.

Also, you have the world authority on these transmissions at Wholesale Automatic Transmissions down there in Australia.

http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/

Try searching for "Rodney flush". https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/350273-rodney-flush-questions.html A technique to remove all the ATF from the tranny and torque converter by using the tranny pump and the ATF cooler extension. Don't do an inline flush which can move some of the "junk" in the tranny pan back throught he valve body and doesn't replace the ATF in the torque converter. You may need to flush twice (so to say).

OD lock up for me is usually around 52 - 54 MPH and yes, you need to jump on the gas (or diesel in your case) to get the tranny to down shift from OD.

Great stuff, you have both given me some starting points. thanks very much :cheers:

OK I have just adjusted the "throttle cable". It was coming out a bit over 40mm and if I have read correctly the FSM states ~33mm. Once my boy wakes up we'll go for a spin to the pie shop and see how it goes.

Great stuff! I was currently looking for the same info yesterday/today!:clap:

I've adjusted the throttle linkage as per the FSMs, and now work like a charm! Best hour spend on my truck yet! Hope it will work for you dousty.

OK, just got back from the bakery. When I first left home it refused to shift into second until 3000rpm and the same thing happened from 2nd to 3rd. At the first intersection when I went to pull away it hadn't shifted back to first and was still stuck in 3rd. After some pedal mashing it kicked back (luckily).

Once warmed up it shifts 1,2,3,4 beautifully and kicks down nicely. I will let it cool down and give it another whirl later on. Will also pick up some tranny fluid and give it a flush. I'll also check out wether it will go into overdrive now or not when I go to pick Jake up from school.

Oil level was spot on the low mark when hot so I have added about 600ml and it is now right on the high mark. Tomorrow I will see how it goes first thing when its cold.

OK it was alot better this morning. It will do it's job when cold and it gets better when warm. But, I still do not have the torque convertor locking up?

If you have your foot in the throttle, you won't notice the lockup. You need to be shifted into 4th gear by about 48 or 49 mph. Then slowly accelerate and somewhere around 54 mph the rpms should drop by a couple of hundred when the lockup occurs.

OK it has been hanging up when cold still so lastnight I went for a drive and performed the Party Trick 3 times. This morning it shifted into 2nd easily and had just a little hangup going from 2nd to 3rd and then it drops straight in 4th immediately.

I will try and source a pan gasket and give the filter a clean today followed by a fluid flush. I might even tighten the throttle cable a tad because it is alittle hesitant to drop back a gear. Wish me luck!

Id put a new cable in they stick inside the sleeve. Mike

The cable looks quite new and travels through the outer well with no improvement after lubricating. Whatever the cable is pulling on in the tranny does feel notchy and always in the same positions when pulling the cable.

After driving it for maybe a week I have found that there are no consistant issues apart from playing up cold, still no convertor lock up and it shifts from 3rd to 4th immediately at very low speeds and won;t kick back until near full throttle.

If I can find gaskets locally I will drop the pan but so far shops keep telling me it's too old to stock them. I have also noticed ATF dripping from the transfer fill plug :eek: so I will drop the level on it and see what happens.

Might be time to track down a second hand auto or bit the bullet for a H55F swap.

Hi Dousty, I know this is a very old thread, however if you're still on here, how did you resolve the issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom