New to 40 section, how much 2 get a 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, usually i hang out in the 60 or diesel section but i have a question about getting an fj40, I am in australia till august than im flying to the LAX, then me and the miss want to drive up the coast into canada. Where on the west coast should one look to find a decent used 40 although i would ike to keep it cheap, I dont care too much about rust, just not one that looks like swiss cheese and has a reasonable chance of making it to B.C.

Ive heard cruisers can be found for a decent price in different states, what kind of ballpark price would i be looking at and where should i look i.e.: buy and sells, craigslist etc. also we dont necessarily need to buy one near L.A. just reasonably close.

Any info or ideas from anyone in this area would be appreciated, thanx in advance.

depends what you call ''cheap''.
cali is one of the strongest markets for cruisers. the people know what they are and are normally pretty proud of what they have.

cruisers in colorado seem to be miuch cheaper than the ones in cali, the bay area especially. Look on www.craiglslist.com and look at the different states and cities you are going to be. You will get a good idea of what they are selling for.

I think you'll have much better luck finding a good condition 60 series cheap, than an FJ40. I've been watching craigs list and other on line classifieds for about a year now (San Francisco area). It's really tough to find good condition 40s for less than $10K. But you rarely see a 60 series for more than $10K. Average for the 60 series is $5-6K.

id like to go $2000-3000, i dont care if the body is gone and the tires are bald and cracked. it seems like you see them for $1000 and there in pieces, $2000-3000 and the body has holes and the driveline still goes, $10,000-$18000 and they have been restored frame off. I already have a 60, im just wondering if a cheap ($2000-3000) driveable 40 can still be found and where do people seem to find them. I do understand that this price is a bit of a wet dream but cant find out without asking those who already know. thanx.

id like to go $2000-3000, i dont care if the body is gone and the tires are bald and cracked. it seems like you see them for $1000 and there in pieces, $2000-3000 and the body has holes and the driveline still goes, ... im just wondering if a cheap ($2000-3000) driveable 40 can still be found and where do people seem to find them.

In the SF Bay area $2000 is a pile of parts with some rust for character. The most recent one I looked at didn't even come with a non-running motor. $5000 is what you pay for a driver (that probably needs all new parts, body work removed and repaired, and paint).

yaa, sounds like $5k might be more realistic. although i think if i waited around for 5 years for someone to go broke etc. i might find one, i.e. :
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=139572

Ah well I'll keep my eye on craigslist etc. to see if one pops up anyways, maybe ill post in the vehicles for sale section too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom