1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new tires

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by hammer1, Aug 9, 2005.

1. hammer1

hammer1

since im on a buying/repair spree ( smog pump and brakes) im going to need new tires, especially in the front ( i need to find out why they are wearing thAa way they are, hopfully just the alignment)
    anyway....i have stock rims, and need good all-around tires for street, snow, and the occasionally pine barrens sand runs.
    any sugestions?

hammer

2. dogboy2

dogboy2

BFG AT/KO's.....they wear well too

-db-

3. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

4. swank60

swank60

that's what I've got. Great tire. See if you can't get them at Sam's or Discount Tire...

5. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    For what you want, it's a good tire. There are better off-road tires available, but none that will preform well on snow.

6. Fearnofish!

Fearnofish!

I have the Kelly Safari MTX and they are medicre at best. I had the BFG ATs prior to these and they were better. I am leaning towards the firestones destination MTs next. My buddy has cooper mud tires SIPPED on his tundra and they are great in the snow. Sipping will change the manners of any tire and extend tire life by enabling the tire to cool faster.

7. wingysataday

wingysataday

Media:
  8. StanCruiserMan

StanCruiserMan

I heard good things about the Kumho Road Venture AT KL-41. They don't look very agressive but what about the Venture MT? Anyone try these? $118 at Tirerack.com for 33's.

9. hammer1

hammer1

am also looking for a more "manly" stance. on stock rims, with no lift, what is my max size i can go with, without having rubbing problems?

10. Fearnofish!

Fearnofish!

31's if your flexed. Seen guys with 33s and 32s and they will rub at full flex. If you never reach that point then 33's will fit for a grocery getter.

11. sandcruiser

sandcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    we had the kumho MT's on our 60 all over the western US and Central America.
    They worked great and lasted very well. On snow they were mediocre, but I'll bet that with some siping they would be better. In sand they aren't very good, but no MT is great in sand.

As a mild MT or a very aggressive AT, they are a good tire. They do howl when the tread wears down.

They are still on the 40 now and doing ok, but looking pretty old at nearly 50K miles.

12. cbmontgo

cbmontgo SILVER Star

I would recommend the BFG KOs because you can get them used for a pretty fair price. A lot of guys get rid of their 31s and 33s as soon as the OME arrives, and they are just sitting in the garage. Do some looking and see if you can find a used set. That's just my thought.

C

13. batman

batman

I bought a set of 4 32 Goodyear a/t tires at a junk yard for a $150.00 mounted. These tires are in great shape, they still have the blue coating on the lettering. Maybe a 1000 mile on them. So look in a junk yard, or a used tire place. Bargin with them they will come down on the price.

14. sl33py

sl33py

What about metric tires? I was thinking of going to 16" rims, or possibly 17"

what's close to 33x10.5 in metric? I saw a 265x70x17 - how do you figure how tall and how wide?

thanks!

rob

15. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

IIRC a 285/75R16 is close to a 33X10.50 or so

16. 89s rule

89s rule

search on the wheat tire size will fit issue. I will tell you it is 33x9.5x15 But I m not fan of the pizza cutters. I have some 33x12.5 BFG MT I bought last year for $75 for the set and the guy met me half way, They have abotu 50-76% tread! Shop round if you arent picky there are some deals out there on used tires.

I really want Goodyear MTR's but they are hards to find used for cheap. And I think I may just stick with the 33's until they wear out or I want to go higher and get 35's.

Oh, those Nitto MT's look awesome, the AT's look ok, but more of a DD grocery getter/somewhat agressive look. Any idea on the price of the MT's?

17. sl33py

sl33py

Thanks stinky that helps, and i found something else...

to answer my own question...

http://www.raingler.com/tech/metricTire.asp

plug in the metric and it gives you H x W. Very handy. The 265/70R17 would be 32x10.5 - not a bad solution w/o a lift...but not what i was looking for.

thanks!