New Tires: Will 35x14.5 Boggers or 36x12.5 TSLs fit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm researching new tires for potential use on the Alaska Cruiser Trek 2011. I currently have 35x12.5r15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on and they did o.k. for ACT 2010. But I think I'd like to invest in some new rubber for 2011. I have a 5" Alcan SUA lift and am wondering what I can fit and if just lowering the bumpstops will allow me to fit some Super Swampers.

Charla did well on the Super Swamper radials at 35x12.5. In the ruts we ran into in 2010, the people that had 36" tires or larger had no problem in the ruts. People with 35s had problems with the ruts.

Anyways. Anyone have a good idea on how to figure out what might fit? Boggers are the best tire for ACT 2011 and the closest size would be 35x14.50. They have 35x10.50 boggers but I don't want a tire that is narrower than 12.5".

The other option are Super Swamper TSLs or TSL/SXs. They come in 36/12.50-15LT. Do you think I could fit a 36" tire on a 5" lift? Are TSL/SXs worth the extra money over TSLs?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

:beer: Chad

go for the bigger ones... if it doesnt ift just put a 1 inch body lift on. A body lift that small will change very little but allow you to run the bigger tires. Remember a 1 inch body lift is usually good for 2 more inches of tire height.

Just a thought.... OR just swing it on by my house and I can make those tires fit. My cutoff wheel is getting a bit dusty. :)

Oh, and my wheels are 15"x8" with 2.5" backspacing.

no on the boggers they need at least 10 in wide wheels... do the 36 125015 SX:steer:

I plan on getting some tsl/sx's when i buy new tires this spring if they are available... I have q78 bias Buckshots right now and actually like them, that is just the biggest size they make. I like the skinny tires... I would really like to see a SX or TSL in a 38x11 like they have in the bogger.

i think with the lift u have will be fine... i have the old style OME heavy's(3" i think) the lift was on my 60 when i got it and don't have to much trouble with rubbing...

:cheers:

I've heard nothing but good things about the Rocker's but have never tried them myself.

there a couple of guys that i wheel with that run the Rockers and the love em... I am considering the 37x12.5 if the swampers are still hard to find when i am ready to buy a new set...

Don't forget to consider the drive up, and back, when you choose tires. The boggers would kick ass on the trail, but up and back.....

Charla's radial TSLs seemed much quieter on the road than my bias TSLs, but then everything else on the 42 was louder. ;)

36 TSL's on a sagged out SOA did a number on my fenders, so you may need to do some trimming. Do really good in the mud (not as good as boggers) and good for being a tough offroad tire, not the best for highway, so radial swampers will be better, just watch your tire placement to not rip the sidewall. Would not even consider Boggers for the highway trip. I did do the TSL biasply from mile 50 Alaska highway to Pismo one year in my BJ42, and it's not too bad if you are prepared for the highway shaking.:hillbilly:
Cheers,
Deny
IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg
IMG_0190.jpg

First off, what engine / trans / gears are you going to be running ? I have quite an extensive amount of experience with the common suspects. Boggers are good if you can really spin them hard . Otherwise they dig . Swampers seem to out perform boggs on lower HP rigs , they run down the road better too ( less noise and wear) Boggers are heavy. Swampers are much easier on drive train parts . You get better traction when side hilling with a swamper, also non directional tread. Swampeers are cheaper! I would go Q78 swamper or 36x12.50 swamper. Check the actual size of your current rubber then compare to intercos site for actual sizes. If you have to run boggs then look at the 37X13 they actually measure quite a bit smaller.Good luck.

Pitbulls and Rockers generally get laughed at up here in our mud. Swampers or Boggers are the way to go for the trail.

Swampers will not leave you disappointed, and they will be a LOT happier on the road. I love the Boggers on my '40 but the '62 and the V8 mini truck will always run Swampers.

The SX is a heavier duty tires than the TSL, but on our trails it has no real performance advantage over the TSL.

The TSL radials ride the road very nice, but they have a significantly less aggressive tread which results in a noticeable difference in performance on our trails when we do get into the soft stuff.
I run 36 inch swampers on the '62 and I do not think you will be happy with the fit on an SUA '60. Hard to say about the fit of the Boggers, but I would want to fit a set before expecting them to fit and work.

Running Swampers to get up here will not wear them "out", but you will be able to discern the wear. Might want to consider trailering them, or shipping them up to install when you get here? Charla bought a set of tires and rims out of the '48, we had them delivered to Seattle and shipped up by a Darrell in his regular barge shipment coming north. We put them on when she arrived and she had Dan haul them south on his trailer so she could run her road tires again ion the way home.

Pretty affordable option. Getting them south again would add another logistical concern, but it could be dealt with I am sure.

Right now we are expecting to return to the same are for the 2011 Trek as we visited in 2010. Push a bit further up the West Fork I hope and try to climb that glacier too. As I am sure you remember, Mud was a minor issue for us last year. If the weather is drier we may head down the Chistochina a bit and look at the dogsled trail to reach the Gokona. THAT will involve mud. But it is far from a sure thing that we will even try.

Mark...

First off, what engine / trans / gears are you going to be running ? I have quite an extensive amount of experience with the common suspects. Boggers are good if you can really spin them hard . Otherwise they dig . Swampers seem to out perform boggs on lower HP rigs , they run down the road better too ( less noise and wear) Boggers are heavy. Swampers are much easier on drive train parts . You get better traction when side hilling with a swamper, also non directional tread. Swampeers are cheaper! I would go Q78 swamper or 36x12.50 swamper. Check the actual size of your current rubber then compare to intercos site for actual sizes. If you have to run boggs then look at the 37X13 they actually measure quite a bit smaller.Good luck.

I do not think that I will urge Chad to select boggers. But I do have to say that my experience with the Boggers in out terrain is that they dig less in places where it really matters. A lot of the soft stuf we run into is seldom used trail that has vegetative mat still remaining across the top, or remnents of it over very soft mud. Rigs that are locked at both ends and shod with large Boggers can usually crawl through this stuff with minimal wheel speed, grabbing traction and moving forward with only about 10% or so slippage. Less aggressive tires can not pull through and have to apply throttle, and spin.

Mark...

I like BIG pit bulls but Rogers 36's were only 33 in tall on his 40

no on the boggers they need at least 10 in wide wheels... do the 36 125015 SX:steer:

It wont hurt anything running them tho. It will also make em a tiny bit taller. the 38.5x16 TSL's on Fiona are mounted on 8 inch wheels... Personally I like the look like that but they do require a much lower air pressure to wear even, but I havent had any issues with the minimal wheeling I have done with them. :meh: I think some 10" wheels would be a pretty rocking width for the TSL I am running but that cost mo $$:crybaby:

but on topic. I cant really suggest what to run cause I have never wheeled in that terrain, I like my TSL's but I think the next set I buy will be the LTB's as they are supposed to be mo betta in the mud and same or better on the rocks and come siped. so maybe the 35x12.50 LTB is an option for you? It is a bias ply tire.

with the boggers on the truggy and in the mud we have here in texas i have never noticed them try to dig at all, in 4wd I get minimal tire spin even in some deep mud I dont know that i would try with my TSL's unless I knew someone could pull me out and I can simply idle through it (locked front and rear of course too). So far havent had any lateral traction issues either like so many complain of with them, but we dont have mountains here just big hills.

LTB | Interco Tire

you cant even pretend to tell me that isnt a sexy tire!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom