New tires, now the steering wheel pulses when turning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
secretcompassonline.com
I just put on a new set of St Maxx in 315. Same size as before. Now, when cornering above 45 mph or so I get a pulsation in the steering wheel. It almost feels like a wheel out of balance but it doesn’t do it when going straight down the road. It’s pretty annoying on curvy roads. I did not have this problem with the old tires, which were the same st Maxx 315.

Tire pressure was initially 38 psi when they were mounted. I noticed this on my way back home (3 hrs from the tire shop.) When I lowered pressure down to 30 the problem remained the same.

I’ll have the alignment checked next week, but I’m not sure this would cause the problem.

Thoughts? Could this be a defective tire? Or a crappy balance by Discount Tire?

Thanks in advance!

First move is to check your nuts. (Steering arm nuts on the bottom of each knuckle X4) I think you should eliminate that first for safety sake. Probably not that and something with a tire, but you never know.

I would take it back and have the balance rechecked. Until then, things that are easy to check at home would be lugs and knuckle studs/nuts. And jack up the front and shake each wheel to check steering links, and wheel bearings.

Suggest that there is a possibility of debris in between the hub mounting surface and the wheel mounting surface.
-> remove wheel, clean with wire brush, re-mount.
I had that happened to me once after a new brake disc install. a few thousand miles later, the wobble was permanent in the disc.

Suggest that there is a possibility of debris in between the hub mounting surface and the wheel mounting surface.
-> remove wheel, clean with wire brush, re-mount.
I had that happened to me once after a new brake disc install. a few thousand miles later, the wobble was permanent in the disc.
I’ll check that. Thanks!

Also, a tire rotation would let you know if it is an out of balance tire. I would think the shop that installed them would do it for free if you didn't feel like doing it.

Check what others have said.

Did they use the sandbag things for balancing, or weights? Could be an issue with the bags, if used.

A worn TRE was the cause of the wobble i had.

Do check lug and knuckle nuts before you drive any more. I had the same symptoms (smooth when straight, flutter in steering wheel on gradual turns) and I spent a few days messing around with tire pressures and front bearing preload. No change until I sheared a wheel stud on the LR tire coming off the interstate and damn near lost the wheel. It could have been disastrous but I got lucky. Lug nuts are a regular check now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom