New Tires, but which? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My present tires are Dunlop Grandtrek AT 23 285/60R18. They probably will be good for another maybe 10k miles. I’m not widely knowledgable, just learning with my fairly new 2007 LC, so maybe lesser or more.
But I wanted to start looking into it so when time comes I’m prepared with the costs and look into special discounts ahead of time.

Question : 1) what is the maximum tire inches ( not sure how many inches are my present ones, someone told me 28” just by looking at them but he said he could be wrong) that I can put on my wheels, R 18( I can’t spend spend much so want to retain my wheels than get new wheels) without raising the car or anything like that. My LC is all stock and has AHC, if that info matters.

Thanks

Last edited:
Your current tires are 31.45”. You can generally fit 275/70r18s (33.2”) or 285/65r18s (32.6”) without modification, although you may have trouble fitting one in the spare tire well. You could probably go up to 34” with some fender liner shaping and pinch weld smashing.

Cost, size, tire quality, aesthetic....all that factored....you won’t beat falken At3w in the 275/70r18

Will that fit well on my wheels that have 285\60r18 on them?
Yep, for sure. You have ahc too so with minimal effort you could cruise around with 295/70/18’s if you wanted to roll around in high mode. 275/70/18 will be a hassle free transition to a much more adequate wheel size

What is the goal of getting bigger tires on your rig? Off-road capability, worse gas mileage, looks, ?

What is the goal of getting bigger tires on your rig? Off-road capability, worse gas mileage, looks, ?

My priorities were (1) off-road capability (was easily pushing through patches of snow yesterday up to the doors with my Milestar Patagonias:
(2) looks- let's face it, looks matter, even to us old guys, and (3) worse gas mileage- who knew that this gas hog could actually eat more!

What is the goal of getting bigger tires on your rig? Off-road capability, worse gas mileage, looks,
Basically Its just looks and little off roading. The kind of off roading that I plan to go on wouldn't necessarily require bigger tires I guess, but I would like to have it for safety of the car. ( my foot board got damaged since my car was a little too low)

How badly does it kill mileage??

Basically Its just looks and little off roading. The kind of off roading that I plan to go on wouldn't necessarily require bigger tires I guess, but I would like to have it for safety of the car. ( my foot board got damaged since my car was a little too low)

How badly does it kill mileage??
I can't really say, as I don't run under controlled conditions. I keep track of mileage, but this is affected by the larger tire size, as well. If I had to guess, I would say it's probably less than 1 mpg loss with the bigger tires.

I can't really say, as I don't run under controlled conditions. I keep track of mileage, but this is affected by the larger tire size, as well. If I had to guess, I would say it's probably less than 1 mpg loss with the bigger tires.
I think I’ll go from 285 to 275 which might help my mileage, but then, go from 31.45” to maybe 33”. Which might decrease mileage but probably will equal out.

I have the same stock wheels, and I’m at stock AHC height as well. The truck came with 275/70/18 Geolander X-AT when I got it. They are 33” and I have no issues, any bigger and I would have problems when in “low” mode. I’m thinking about some whee spacers but overall the tire profile looks good. The receipts I found for the tires was just under $800 for all 4, and that was with a promo deal from Discount tire. My spare is still original.

I have the same stock wheels, and I’m at stock AHC height as well. The truck came with 275/70/18 Geolander X-AT when I got it. They are 33” and I have no issues, any bigger and I would have problems when in “low” mode. I’m thinking about some whee spacers but overall the tire profile looks good. The receipts I found for the tires was just under $800 for all 4, and that was with a promo deal from Discount tire. My spare is still original.
You should really have a same sized spare.

It’s on the list of to-dos. Several other things ahead of it still. I drive like 10 miles a week right now. Previous owner apparently didn’t think of it or didn’t want to spend the extra $200.
Got it, I know spares are not normally used but maybe you can find a cheap used tire so the spare is usable?

Got it, I know spares are not normally used but maybe you can find a cheap used tire so the spare is usable?
I've found a few on Offerup and Facebook for like $50, random off-brands. I may do that, I've just been lazy and caught up with work to be honest. I'm checking out a new wheel setup anyway, and if I pull the trigger I'm stashing these as a second set and going with 17's and ordering 5 wheels/tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom