New tires ‘75 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Depending on the wheel backspacing, fat tires can rub on the steering drag link. Yes, you can adjust the travel-stop, but...

I used to rub 33s on a 3" lift, on my '73. Right out of the tire shop and on the trail, a new BFG Mud Terrain knob meets the knife like edge of the tub/rear fender. So, I installed the lift, still rubbed. I eventually moved the rear axle 1" back on the spring perch.

You might want to measure the garage door, if you use one, and you anticipate adding a hard top or whatever.
I will avoid the lift I think. I do have hard top but keep it off. Love Santa Fe; been several times.

***Stick with load range C tires or lighter. Load range D and E are way to stiff for a light weight vehicle. If you are not off road much and go with some metric tires, a "P" metric tire is rated for passenger and are even softer/lighter than load range C. Lighter load rating tire, and lower PSI in the tires, will give a better ride.***

I would highly recommend some Bilstein 5100 series shocks for 0-2" lift, not the 4600 series. You will still feel the road, but the bigger hits that used to break your teeth out at 40-50 mph on a country road will be absorbed MUCH better with the Bilsteins. I would do this first ~$350 or so before you mess with tires. They are easy to install yourself, and will probably do the most to improve the feel of your

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom