New tire for consideration! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

any mud tire will be horrible in snow when compared to an A/T. some mud tires work better than other muds but never as well as an A/T. the siping just isnt there in the mud tire, even the toyo and truxus dont have enough to compare to a decent A/T.

Completely false. Trxus MT's are so good compared to BFG AT's in every winter condition that they are not even in the same class.

Post me a picture of an AT with as much pure perpendicular siping (this siping is almost wide enough to be considered grooving) as the trxus MT. Revos have more overall siping, but it's not perpendicular to the direction of travel.

I now have two neighbors with 80's on Revos, one of whom just traded in his 100 for a LX450 after watching me go everywhere last winter while he was stuck at home on his AT's, plus a neighbor with a Taco that is now on Revos at my recommendation because he got sick on me having to strap him out of major stucks with his BFG AT's last winter. I've watched an 80 on Revos spend an hour trying to drift bust in 2 to 3 feet of snow. It's really a joke.

I would not touch the BFG KM2 for variable road snow/ice use as a guinea pig unless you can afford another set of tires. In deep snow offroad I'm sure they are fine, and probably close to excellent as long as you don't need good lateral traction because this is something of a paddle design. Put 'em on icy hardpack and I've got $100 that says you're going for a ride you don't want.

I could be wrong - I only posted this because I know Doc cares about snow performance and he's clearly not thinking straight :grinpimp:
trxus MT.jpg
Revo.jpg

Last edited:
Nay, I was just getting ready to say the same thing. I have a lot of experience with the trxus, and they are THE BEST all around tire out there. They would spank the heck out of those new KM2's.

I have the KM's on my Jeep XJ, I hate them. I'll be going to a trxus for that truck. Now the 80 has the BFG at's, and that there is another favorite of mine. Does well in everything but mud.

Do you guys get your MTs siped? I think Nay is correct when talking about a stock (non siped) MT, but IMO, siping makes a HUGE difference. I drive on packed snow/ice a lot here in ND, and I have found that siped MTs work pretty well, plus, they dig when the snow gets deep.

Do you guys get your MTs siped? I think Nay is correct when talking about a stock (non siped) MT, but IMO, siping makes a HUGE difference. I drive on packed snow/ice a lot here in ND, and I have found that siped MTs work pretty well, plus, they dig when the snow gets deep.

You don't need to with trxus - it's a factory design.

Completely false. Trxus MT's are so good compared to BFG AT's in every winter condition that they are not even in the same class.

Post me a picture of an AT with as much pure perpendicular siping (this siping is almost wide enough to be considered grooving) as the trxus MT. Revos have more overall siping, but it's not perpendicular to the direction of travel.

I now have two neighbors with 80's on Revos, one of whom just traded in his 100 for a LX450 after watching me go everywhere last winter while he was stuck at home on his AT's, plus a neighbor with a Taco that is now on Revos at my recommendation because he got sick on me having to strap him out of major stucks with his BFG AT's last winter. I've watched an 80 on Revos spend an hour trying to drift bust in 2 to 3 feet of snow. It's really a joke.

I would not touch the BFG KM2 for variable road snow/ice use as a guinea pig unless you can afford another set of tires. In deep snow offroad I'm sure they are fine, and probably close to excellent as long as you don't need good lateral traction because this is something of a paddle design. Put 'em on icy hardpack and I've got $100 that says you're going for a ride you don't want.

I could be wrong - I only posted this because I know Doc cares about snow performance and he's clearly not thinking straight :grinpimp:

completely false? come on, a bit strong isnt it? i had your tires, i also had the bfg a/t and i also have the toyo m/ts and i also have the nitto a/ts. you can say what you want as forcefully as you want but there just isnt enough siping, in any direction, on the trxus to make your argument prove mine "completely false". you clearly have your opinon. run with it. from my personal experience, i have yet to meet a mud terrain tire that behaves as well as my all terrain tires in varied snow/slush/ice conditions. 3 lil sipes/lug that dont even go the length of the lug isnt going to give you that much. that is why you see good snow tires have siping go all the way across the lug. allows the lug to flex more so it can "bite". they cant do that on m/ts because they would chunk up too badly.

perhaps we are talking about different conditions here as well. on the road, i dont really see people braking though 2 - 3 foot drifts. if its that bad you do need a tire like yours to chuck the snow.

also not so sure why you are so hung up on the the bfg a/t.. i said a DECENT a/t.. i happen to think the bfg a/t is crap.

My only issue with the old BFG MT's is how appallingly easy it was to make a fist sized hole in the sidewall.

Is the bold a typo? You were just praising revo's, then you say they are a joke?

Did you see my DD tire? There is 0 siping. I still think the KM2 can't be any worse than that.

Is the bold a typo? You were just praising revo's, then you say they are a joke?

Did you see my DD tire? There is 0 siping. I still think the KM2 can't be any worse than that.

Yea, that kinda confused me too. I've busted 2' banks effortlessly with my Revos, I consider them a surprisingly good snow tire, not good on our ice, but surprisingly good on snow. Can you clarify what you meant Nay? Thanks. :cheers:

IMHO the KM2 will be better than your DD tire simply because of the additional siping.

Just my 2 cents.

I must say, I have Revo's on my 80 and have had them on my 05 Tundra and my 01 4-Runner. No problem with snow at all. They seem to be a great all around tire as well.

B.

I agree with Nay on the Trxus. I had a set of 33's on a lifted Cherokee. Even with that thing being so light in the back end, I could hardly even fishtail at all in 2WD in any type of snow condition, and believe me I tried. If I didn't go with AT's for the tons of highway miles I put on, it would definitely be Trxus MT's for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom