New Throttle Cable Question (1 Viewer)

so i was working on the old 40 again..... 76 by the way. and i snapped the throttle cable... but it was already snapped, i just finished it off.. was hanging by three threads of the cable. it had slipped off the set screw on the carb and that would explain the "sponginess" in my throttle on the pedal side....

was hoping to get some insight as to where i can find a new throttle cable using only Napa, Autozone, Advanced, or Carquest. i wanna hear the "redneck" fixes as an OEM cable.... is not out of the equation, but i want to start at the lower... cheaper end first...

Thanks guys
IMAG0020.jpg

John McVicker

SILVER Star

If you plan on staying w/cable & not switching to linkage, a broken cable is not uncommon. It is a 'wear' item & will need to be replaced from time to time...much like brake pads etc.

When I had cable I always kept a spare...got mine from any hardware.

In the long run I prefer linkage to cable.

John

John McVicker

SILVER Star

do you know what gauge the wire is, and or any other specifics?
Sorry I don't know the gauge.

My cable was threaded through a nut with a hole. I just got the largest cable that would fit through the hole.

The cable is very common @ hardware stores, they usually have several rolls of different sizes. Cut a bit off your broken cable & match the size. No big deal.

What carb are you running that requires cable ?? Really would switch to linkage if you can. The cable on mine did not break often...but sometimes it can break in dangerous situations.

John

3DAMAN!

No brag..just fact
SILVER Star

Try your local bicycle shop. I found a heavier cable that had the lead fitting on both ends real close to what I needed. I silver solder the cable at the middle and cut it in half with a cutoff wheel on my air grinder.
Two cables for about 9 bucks

Try your local bicycle shop. I found a heavier cable that had the lead fitting on both ends real close to what I needed. I silver solder the cable at the middle and cut it in half with a cutoff wheel on my air grinder.
now that is an idea, best one being the rear brake cable? longest of all of them

Go with brake cable rather than shifter cable. I've also found that cheaper cables are not as smooth.:D

i got the new throttle cable, which can be seen in the photos, thank you to the above people, i paid 2 dollars for the new cable, had 5 feet of it.... and the stopper on the one end, not exactly sure what its called....

but now for the carb issue, can't get the choke to close properly....

this is a picture of it at idle,

weber carb, not sure the model number
IMAG0021.jpg
IMAG0030.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom