New Suspension Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im going to be getting a 2 1/2 suspension lift and the kit comes with anti invert shackles. My question is should I swap those out and go ahead and put in 1"or2" over stock shackles on for a little more lift? Does it make that much more diff either way. Will the handleing or ride be any different between the two? Right now I do light offroading but am planning on moving out west with hopes of doing it more often. I have an FJ62. For now I will be riding with 31" but after they wear out will go to 33" tires. Any thoughts ???

Choula, good to see you on this board! Anyway, as I said elsewhere ;) why not do the lift as a package and see if you like it? The lift should accomodate 10.5 x 33 tires even offroad, so why add extended shackles now?

Also, if you get significantly longer shackles, you'll need to shim the front to regain steering geometry.

What lift you getting? :D

JMAN - I just replied to your question you know where ::)
I guess I dont have loyalty to one board huh :-X

[quote author=KnoxFJ62 link=board=1;threadid=11302;start=msg102702#msg102702 date=1076448887]
JMAN - I just replied to your question you know where ::)
I guess I dont have loyalty to one board huh :-X
[/quote]

That's okay, neither do I, and this board has smileys. :flipoff2: :D

Anyway, check out this thread for some pics of an FJ62 with NO lift on 9.5x33s, then imagine 2.5" of lift.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=11254

Shims are metal wedges that you insert between the spring and the front axle to compensate for axle rotation you get when you add extended shackles to one end of the spring. Imagine unbolting the front end of your front spring from the shackle and pushing it downward--can you see it rotating the axle? The shim goes between the spring and the axle to return the axle to correct orientation for steering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom