New Suspension and tires...how will they affect ride quality? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, new guy here...
I just picked up a totally stock 2005 GX470 Sport, with KDSS. 155k miles.
Runs and drives like a dream...solid, smooth as silk.
Tires are stock Michelin’s, and the airbags are still intact.
This may become my DD, as well as a camping rig, and “Overlander”
I am considering upgrading the suspension to Ironman shocks, struts and coils, and going with a BFG KO2 in 255-75/17.

Does anyone have experience with how these changes will affect on-road ride comfort? I am impressed how much the “firmness” dial works, from plush to (relatively) sporty. I know I’d lose that if I ditch the rear shocks...is it worth it to upgrade to aftermarket suspension now, or wait til the bags fail?
As for the KO2’s, I’m looking at load range C...should I expect significant changes to highway noise and ride quality? I believe I can run this size even with the stock suspension...anyone say otherwise?
Again, just looking for some personal experiences with these issues.
Thanks!

Those tire sizes 255/75R17 will fit on stock suspensions. If I had to start all over, I would run those tires with Plasti dipped oem wheels.

you replace any shock (front or rear) with aftermarket shocks and you lose the ability to select sport or comfort. It knows not all 4 shocks are electronically controlled and kills the feature.

Thanks Homer,
Glad to hear the tires will fit. Interesting thought on the wheels...I’ll look into that.
Bummed to lose the adjustability on the ride firmness. Might stay OEM just for that.

You have what seems to be a well thought out lift and tire combo...how is your ride on-road, compared to Stock?
Thanks

I never was stock. I purchased the gx470 with bilstein 6112s and 600# coils up front which had about 2” lift upfront. Rear suspension had Stock oem shocks and the airbag trick to lift about 1.25”. it also came with the 17x9 wheels and 285 KO2s E-rated.

I’ve been on stock Gx470s and they ride quieter and softer. passenger rated tires and stock suspension are much softer than my setup.

I’m in the process of converting the rear air bags to extended travel Icon 56550s and dobinson variable rate rear coils c59-675v. I’m hoping this reduces the harsh ride in the rear and improves articulation to keep tires on ground more often in off camber situations to prevent excess rear wheel spin.

Thanks Homer,
Glad to hear the tires will fit. Interesting thought on the wheels...I’ll look into that.
Bummed to lose the adjustability on the ride firmness. Might stay OEM just for that.

You have what seems to be a well thought out lift and tire combo...how is your ride on-road, compared to Stock?
Thanks
where in Oregon are you? My suggestion would be to try and meet up with a few other members who have aftermarket suspension and ask for a ride (some might even let you drive)

Suspension feel is like everything else based upon feelings... completely subjective. a harsh ride to you may be plush to me or vice versa.

while I do like the ability to soften up the feel in cab, I've put it on firm and forgotten about it as it's still a great ride, and 2. getting my Dobinson IMS lift in Feb so why get used to the Plush when I'm pretty sure the IMS will be closer to the firm setting.

I never was stock. I purchased the gx470 with bilstein 6112s and 600# coils up front which had about 2” lift upfront. Rear suspension had Stock oem shocks and the airbag trick to lift about 1.25”. it also came with the 17x9 wheels and 285 KO2s E-rated.

I’ve been on stock Gx470s and they ride quieter and softer. passenger rated tires and stock suspension are much softer than my setup.

I’m in the process of converting the rear air bags to extended travel Icon 56550s and dobinson variable rate rear coils c59-675v. I’m hoping this reduces the harsh ride in the rear and improves articulation to keep tires on ground more often in off camber situations to prevent excess rear wheel spin.

Homer, thank you for your info! Sounds like a great set-up.
I think I’ll take some time and figure what exactly I want this vehicle to be..DD, dedicated off-road, or somewhere in-between. In the meantime, research and geek out on Mud.
Thanks again for your help.

where in Oregon are you? My suggestion would be to try and meet up with a few other members who have aftermarket suspension and ask for a ride (some might even let you drive)

Suspension feel is like everything else based upon feelings... completely subjective. a harsh ride to you may be plush to me or vice versa.

while I do like the ability to soften up the feel in cab, I've put it on firm and forgotten about it as it's still a great ride, and 2. getting my Dobinson IMS lift in Feb so why get used to the Plush when I'm pretty sure the IMS will be closer to the firm setting.

Ebbs...Good suggestion. I’ve driven several stock, in my search for this one. For some reason this one seems to drive much better...smoother, “tighter”...maybe because of the beefed up front sway bars.
I’m in sales and drive a good deal around my state. Lots of freeway, several mountain passes getting over the Cascades weekly. Very familiar routes to me. Took mine earlier this week on a 450 mile loop that I know well...flat freeway at 70, and curvy mountain passes. It was interesting, knowing what road conditions were coming up, to dial in the ride firmness. It actually made quite a difference.
Thanks again

you replace any shock (front or rear) with aftermarket shocks and you lose the ability to select sport or comfort. It knows not all 4 shocks are electronically controlled and kills the feature.
Is there any way to keep the option of sport or comfortable working ?
I've looking to lift my rig 2.5" up in the front ( Bilstein with Toytec 521600), and use airbagman in rear (airbagman is 2" taller airbags). Im trying to lift/get rid of the factory rake while keep all the factory option working. Thanks

Is there any way to keep the option of sport or comfortable working ?
I've looking to lift my rig 2.5" up in the front ( Bilstein with Toytec 521600), and use airbagman in rear (airbagman is 2" taller airbags). Im trying to lift/get rid of the factory rake while keep all the factory option working. Thanks

Not with a lift. The Comfort/Sport settings are an aspect of the uber expensive electronic OEM shocks. They don't make longer ones and those won't reach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom