new steering very tight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just finished installing a complete new sag power steering setup in my 40, I had also rebuild the knuckles. I took it for it's maiden voyage and the steering is very tight, it won't return to center after making a corner. I have to turn it back to go straight. I added a bearing that MAF sells that attaches to the to the shaft and bolts to the firewall. has anybody ever experienced this before? Help, suggestions.

Thanks, Greg :beer:

Was it tight and didn't return to center before you did the Saginaw box and rebuilt the knuckles?

If this happened after the new work, then either the box or knuckles or both are too tight or screwed up.

If this was screwed up before the work, check the caster. Positive caster makes the wheels self center.

Could air in the system make this happen? Did you do the lock to lock bleed? Just wondering...

It didn't do before. It has always had sag steering I just upgraded to a 4 bolt box with new mounts. Castor is okay. Also I did bleed the system.

If it's in the knuckles would it be the trunion bearings that are to tight?????

thanks again, Greg :beer:

There are shims that go under the the steering arms and the caps at the bottom (correct name????) for the lower trunnion bearings. with the tie rod off, a properly shimed knuckle should require 15 lbs( i think) of pull with a spring scale to move the knuckle. You can use the spring scale for wieghing fish to checck it, i just pull it back and forth and see if it feels right though. (no intentional 646 joke )

If you didn't have the knuckles apart then I wouldn't worry about trunion bearings. Where did you get the box from? Could it be internal corrosion causing binding? Did you play with the mesh gear adjustment on top of the box? Mesh gear adjuster is the stud coming out of the cap with the jam nut on it. It compensates for wear on the gears. If its too tight then it may make the gears bind and not let the box move free. It will wreck the box if its too tight.

PS a Hughes 500 is the last thing I want to see after work..... Just kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom