1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New St. John’s Rock ORV Trail and Campground to Open This Summer!

Discussion in 'VA/DC/MD- Capital Land Cruiser Club' started by Jakes40, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Jakes40

Jakes40 IH8MUD Poser SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Here is closer public land. I do not think it is open yet. But I will look throw there web sight a little more.

Off-Road Vehicle Use on Maryland's Public Lands

iptman and RiFF RaFF like this.
  2. RiFF RaFF

RiFF RaFF GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  3. Devilmans Hand

Devilmans Hand TLCA #19517

Media:
    Albums:
  4. Stumpalama

Stumpalama Forum Junkie SILVER Star

This is getting a lot of play with several threads popping up around 'mud. This gives me pause: "full-size rock crawl area for jeeps and four-wheel drive vehicles", as I infer they have a rock garden area. Oh, boy! There are other existing ORV trails up that way, but they are only a few miles long at most. Sad trombone...

RiFF RaFF likes this.
  5. Jakes40

Jakes40 IH8MUD Poser SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't think it's more than a days worth of trails.

6. Stumpalama

Stumpalama Forum Junkie SILVER Star

I don't think it's more than a few hours worth of trails

7. Devilmans Hand

Devilmans Hand TLCA #19517

Media:
    Albums:
    Bummer...it's a gravel road with a couple rocks

But then again so is Fernando's driveway in the mountains. That had some dramatically changing conditions with weather.

Stumpalama likes this.
  8. DustyFJ

DustyFJ

Media:
    Albums:
    Haven't ridden it yet myself but I stole this description from my dirt bike clubs newsletter

All members: Today was somewhat of an historic day for the Off-Road community in Maryland, with the pre-ride of the new trail system at Savage River State Forest. It was a great honor to ride the first motorcycle on the loop. Weather conditions were outstanding, with cool western Maryland air and bright sun all day. Several officials from the Maryland DNR were in attedance, along with Ken Kyler, the MDOHVA President, Linas Zubkus and Jeff Nelson from R&T, and other locals and 4-wheel club members. The new cut trail was great and designed well. It is mostly two-track, but very technical with several switchbacks, turns, elevation changes, and rocks. The loop has a connecting road that runs through the entire length of the system, with "finger" sections of technical action that are challenging. The loop runs 16.5 miles out and back. There is a rock crawling section at the system as well, and a less technical Jeep loop that runs 20+ miles. Parking areas are nicely done, with very nice timber guard rails. Camping areas are great with a pee-wee loop connecting the campsites, and it is fun to ride as well. The trail is just a few minutes off the interstate, with good cell service and a rescue squad close by. It also has a latrine. Designated as a state forest and not a state park, alcoholic beverages are permitted.

On the return loop, we got a chance to wick it up a bit, laying down some power and burning in the trail. - Great stuff !! The contractor had just finished up the last section this morning prior to our arrival.

The official opening will be in July when Gov Hogan cuts the ribbon. You will be able to purchase your DNR registration sticker on line, and make riding reservations (day pass) or camping reservations on line as well, sometime after the official opening.

All this has been made possible mainly due to the efforts of KEN KYLER, the MDOHVA President. Ken has spent countless hours working with the DNR and others over the last few years to make this possible. R&T members Bill Brennan, Jeff Nelson and myself serve on the MDOHVA board, and it is a great honor to serve with Ken. We'll have some great pics from today's event in the July club newsletter.

9. iptman

iptman SILVER Star

Sounds like it's worth a trip out there to check it out.

10. DustyFJ

DustyFJ

Media:
    Albums:
    Stumpalama likes this.
  11. chudly

chudly

so has anyone gone to check it out?