New squeal/rattle in transmission/clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone - I have an 87 60 stock engine (desmoged), stock 4 speed, stock transfer case.
I'm not good at diagnosing problems - but I can swap out parts (most of the time).
I've searched but can't find what I need.
When I am accelerating in first I hear this noise. When I depress the clutch to shift to second gear it stops then returns as the RPM's increase. When I depress the clutch to shift into third, the noise stops and doesn't return. I've never heard it in forth. I thought it might be the throwout bearing maybe but I read some posts discussing the throwout bearing. Now I'm not sure since the noise/rattle isn't heard with the clutch disengaged.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Don't assume it can't be a T/O bearing. Loading a bearing can change everything. Disengaged, the bearing has very little load.
Worn bearings have a different sound than dry bearings. Worn bearings sound more like a grinding, grumbling sound. Squeals
are more akin to dry bearings. Assuming your fluids are topped off in the trans/transfer and diff the possible dry bearings are
pilot, throwout and ujoints. But not being there and hearing it myself it could just as well be a exhaust rubbing the frame

Why not take a video of it recording the sound & upload it to YouTube & share the link with us so we can hear it too?

I'd also say don't assume it's transmission related.

Have a good look under neath. I had a skid plate rubbing on my t-case, or something and it would make a little sound only under certain conditions.

Also check the exhaust for any loose sounds. Sometimes sound change under loads.

I also like to check the engine mounts to make sure they are not loose/separated. That can make a sound when the engine torques/twists the driveline too.

And above all 60 series can just make odd sounds and sometimes we have to just ignore them. 32 year old trucks are not going to be perfect sounding..

I’m no expert but here’s my situation. 1st and 2nd had/has a high pitched squealing or chirping sound that increases with rpms. Nothing in 3rd or 4th. Nothing when in neutral. I recently had a clutch kit installed due to some occasional grinding and skipping. Turns out that over the years with a leaking input shaft seal on the trans the clutch had accumulated so much baked on gunk that it was having a hard time functioning. Anyway, all seals and bearings were replaced that accessible when doing the clutch. Clutch works great now, but the chirping in 1st and 2nd is still there. I’m just assuming it’s a bearing in the transmission at this point.

Video - good idea. So here it is...the sound isn't as loud or noticeable on the video. If you listen for a "different" sound as the RPM's increase you might be able to hear it.

YouTube link <>

At 00:04 and 00:08 seconds you can hear the "scream".

Last edited:
I have the same exact noise. For me it starts around 2500RPM in 2nd and 3rd. I'll typically shift earlier but still wondering what that is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom