New sprinkler system

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by crholliday, Jun 27, 2005.

1. crholliday

crholliday Frisbeetarianist

My old sprinkler system (wife) will be leaving soon for an extended period of time. With the looming death of all living things in my yard, we decided to invest in a mechanical sprinkler system that was not owner-operated -- due to the cognitive faults with the owner (me). After several bids from sprinkler companies, consideration of installing a traditional in-ground system myself and some internet pillaging, we discovered this thing:

www.accurain.com

I have now installed it at home with 1 head in the front and two heads in the back for about 3 months. The nutshell review:

1. Very cool to watch
    2. 50% less $$ installed than a standard in-ground system
    3. Less stuff to break
    4. Easy to program
    5. Uses only the amount of water we need it to use (something on the order of 1/6th of a traditional system)
    6. Attracts throngs of drive-by question-askers (could go in the pros or cons columns)

I don't know if this is the future of irrigation in the world, but it is a dang cool gadget that actually does what it says it will do for less than the traditional alternatives. The wife and I give it high marks and would recommend to anyone!

C.

2. MrZumma

MrZumma

Looks interesting. The video shows a solid stream of water hitting plants. Tell me it aerates or breaks that stream of water up before hitting fragile plants..

How much was it for the controller and heads?

3. crholliday

crholliday Frisbeetarianist

I was concerned about possible damage as well, but it has not caused any noticeable problems in 3 months with our most delicate plants (the little flowering stalks on Coral Bells). The closer the stream gets to the head, the lower the pressure and the smaller the stream. The farther away from the head, the more the stream breaks up and dissipates.

Here is how it factored for me:

(1) Starter kit with transformer, controller unit and 1 head - $299
    (2) additional heads ($199 ea.) $398
    Miscellaneous installation supplies (water pipe, low voltage wire, etc) $80
    Trench for 5 hours $80

Total for front and back yard ~ $850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.