New Side Bars from Crum's Custom Welding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
It’s good to live close to a Cruiser fabricator. Over the last year, my ARB bar has really started to rot out. Both headlight loops were rusted through where they mate to the flat surface of the winch cradle. I was hunting for a used bar in decent shape, considering an IronMan4x4 bar, etc. I had Dave take a look at it and he thought he could fix it.
I used to have modified ARB sidebars that bolted to my old sliders, but they wouldn’t mate easily with the new ones Dave built for me. So he built me a pair of those too. He came up with, what I think, is an ingenious mounting design.
In short, he added a short piece of tube to both the new ARB front loops and smaller diameter tube to the sliders. The sidebars fit inside the ARB mounts and he made a locking collar that slides over the sidebars and slider mounts. Confused? Here are some pictures for your amusement.
Step1 is to insert the slider in the ARB mount.
Step2 is to slide the locking collar onto the sidebar.
Step 3 is to rotate the sidebar into position.
Step1.jpg
Step2.jpg
Step3.jpg

They are incredibly stout and very well built. The tolerances on inner to outer diameter tubing are rediculous. Painting the sidebars caused them to bind quite heavily. I needed a short piece of tubing to drive the locking collar onto the sidebars and had to rotate it into position with a pipe wrench. I hit everything with a rattle can before taking pictures.
Here's one more showing the profile.
Profile.jpg

Last edited:
I had to grease my pipe.
It was a tight fit.
I'm uncomfortable in the workplace.

Truth be told, all mating surfaces were covered with grease and the insides of the mounts were coated as well. Got to keep the rust away.

I had to grease my pipe.
It was a tight fit.
I'm uncomfortable in the workplace.

Truth be told, all mating surfaces were covered with grease and the insides of the mounts were coated as well. Got to keep the rust away.

FluidFilm!

Maybe Dave's tubes will hold up better than the original ARB's against trees and such?

I hope so. The ARB tubing was thin walled and had a variety of rot spots. They sacrificed themselves many times, so I really can't complain. These tubes are way overkill and rigid which allows them to run much tighter to the body than before. Plus they make it very easy to merge into traffic at the Lincoln Tunnel. Always a good thing.

Maybe it is just me, but for a "welding" shop, some of those welds don't look all that professional. They are uneven with poor bead shape and what looks like some undercut. The uneven appearance and lumpy shape don't necessarily compromise the strength, but undercut would. If I did that in school, my welding instructor would have knocked me upside the helmet and told me to quit day dreaming and pay attention.

I wouldn't take it personally. You didn't do those welds and you aren't the one advertizing as a "Custom Welding" shop. It gives custom a new meaning.

Rather than peeing on your cake, I was just pointing out that the shop screwed up the frosting. Still tastes great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom