new shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
looking into putting new shocks on the 76 40. hoping to get some experienced advice on which are the best to try:confused: any help greatly appreciated:)

Need more info about your cruiser like do you dd or just trail truck? What to you want to spend? You can spend a bunch but the higher end rides nicer

unlikely it will ever be a dd - 40 mile a day at 4.50 per gallon gas and 10 miles per gallon rig - mostly just for fun - recently just in the garage cutting off rust and replacing rear quarters and rear sill. I have already spent so much money on this rig - might as well get the best shocks to ride right. Original 2f rebuilt 2000 miles ago - magna flow exhaust - powder coated rims and new hub caps - I am out of control and headed for divorce court! still looking for the right stuff - bilsteins? thanksfor the input

I just bought a set of Bilsteins from eshocks dot com. I havent received them yet.

X2 on Bilsteins - mine are going on 7 years with heavy wheeling

ahem, yeah, I grew up less than 50 kilometers from Bilstein :D

Can anyone speak to the ride difference they've experienced w/ the bilsteins??
Is it a softer ride over all?
I'm running pro comps, and IMO, they feel too stiff. However, not sure if it's the shocks or the springs.

thanks for all the input - now it looks like possibly longer shackles were installed to compensate for worn out rear springs - and the shocks may have been installed up side down - why people do these things?
if it boils dwon to new shocks - the bilsteins have it.
thanks again
md

I installed a hell creek lift with the supplyed rough country shocks . It seems the diameter is too big and there is contact between the relay rod and shock. I,m kinda worried about bending the rod . I could mount it upside down and it would solve the problem but it would look weird. Who makes a smaller diameter shock , something stock size?

P1030240.jpg

caper said:
I installed a hell creek lift with the supplyed rough country shocks . It seems the diameter is too big and there is contact between the relay rod and shock. I,m kinda worried about bending the rod . I could mount it upside down and it would solve the problem but it would look weird. Who makes a smaller diameter shock , something stock size?

Bilstein!

But honestly there shouldn't be a problem with those rough country shocks. I know Tom had those kits field tested by Wimberley so they should fit fine. Hmm

I have the same situation caper and am interested in any replies. What springs did you buy? I've actually contacted Hellcreek and they say they use them all the time and the only time they touch is at dead center but it has never caused a problem.

I have the 4 inch he'll creek springs with bilsteins, no problems at all or at least not yet. The bilsteins are pricey but are butter.

I have the 4's as well but the rough country's do touch. Did you shim your axles and if so what degree Sully?

Last edited:
Fox 2.0’s work great on my Rig. Buy some use-once and re-build them and re-valve them for your rig. Very easy shock to work with.

I used Gabreil coil over on a 76 FJ40. Everyone told me ohhh they don't make them anymore but I used some new store bought ones for a 73 1/2 ton Chevy. Just took out the metal inserts from the rubber grommets and mounted right up. Gave me an additional 1" lift. Ride is a little stiffer but hey its not a vehicle built for comfort. Mine is an everyday driver. Oh had old springs and 2" lift shackles. Can run 33's with ease.

Rancho has a promotion going on right now. Pick up a set of Rancho 9000's and you can get $100 back. I just picked up a set, on their way to my house as we speak.

I have the same situation caper and am interested in any replies. What springs did you buy? I've actually contacted Hellcreek and they say they use them all the time and the only time they touch is at dead center but it has never caused a problem.

I have the 2.5 inch lift on a RHD , sounds like its an issue on LHD as well .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom