New shocks/suspension work at 275 K Miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the first time I've added to the forum. I'm ready for new shocks. 2007 LC. I've wondered if now is the time to do a mild build. Any thoughts or direction? I'm leaning toward maintaining it as stock but love seeing all the Overlanders out there.

This is the first time I've added to the forum. I'm ready for new shocks. 2007 LC. I've wondered if now is the time to do a mild build. Any thoughts or direction? I'm leaning toward maintaining it as stock but love seeing all the Overlanders out there.
AHC or no? If yes, the answer's easy. Maintain stock AHC.

If you don't have AHC, then I'd match the suspension to your use. For street driving and occasional easy trails, OEM coventional is king, IMO. The suspension is really driven by your use so without that info we can't help much.

More details on you specific truck and your intended use of the truck?
I’m a daily driver that occasionally leaves the pavement for sand or dirt. Lots of highway. I also pull a boat 4-5 times a year. Boat weight is around 2500 lb.

AHC or no? If yes, the answer's easy. Maintain stock AHC.

If you don't have AHC, then I'd match the suspension to your use. For street driving and occasional easy trails, OEM coventional is king, IMO. The suspension is really driven by your use so without that info we can't help much.
I spoke with the shop and plan to keep it stock. OEM. It’s a Land Cruiser, haven’t they already created the best truck?

I’m not a gear head so I apologize for not being up to speed like the purists.

One does not simply install new shocks on a LC equipped with AHC.
Tell me more please.

Multi-quote is great to use first off.

For your truck, it will do plenty of dirt road driving and more as is. Auto Height Control was an option on 06/07 LC's and is a more complex system than traditional springs and shocks. So, if your truck has AHC, then that creates some different options.

I spoke with the shop and plan to keep it stock. OEM. It’s a Land Cruiser, haven’t they already created the best truck?

I’m not a gear head so I apologize for not being up to speed like the purists.
No worries at all. If your logic is to keep it stock unless you know better than Toyota, you're all good. :)

It's a great vehicle as is.

For your truck, it will do plenty of dirt road driving and more as is. Auto Height Control was an option on 06/07 LC's and is a more complex system than traditional springs and shocks. So, if your truck has AHC, then that creates some different options.
It does have ACH and is in great working order.

What sort of options?

for one, you dont have "shocks". you have a complex hydraulic based suspension and adjustable height system. instead of shocks you have 4 hydraulic cylinders that raise and lower the truck and are able to also act as shocks. if it works perfectly and you are happy with ride quality, leave it be. if you feel you need a change, you would rip all that out and replace with traditional spring/shock/torsion bar setup on earlier trucks. many many threads all about it

for one, you dont have "shocks". you have a complex hydraulic based suspension and adjustable height system. instead of shocks you have 4 hydraulic cylinders that raise and lower the truck and are able to also act as shocks. if it works perfectly and you are happy with ride quality, leave it be. if you feel you need a change, you would rip all that out and replace with traditional spring/shock/torsion bar setup on earlier trucks. many many threads all about it
Gotcha. That makes a lot of sense now. I'm all about keeping the AHC. The issue that started this: my ride went from okay to no spring back through bumps. Very bouncy but hard, like a low rider. I appreciate your willingness to add info. Thanks.

Then you have some maintenance due to be done to the system. Probably best to take to the dealer and have an inspection

Gotcha. That makes a lot of sense now. I'm all about keeping the AHC. The issue that started this: my ride went from okay to no spring back through bumps. Very bouncy but hard, like a low rider. I appreciate your willingness to add info. Thanks.

The AHC fluid needs to be changed every few years and the accumulators (also called globes or spheres) need replacement about every decade to 15 years. Over time, the front torsion bars need adjustment to maintain proper pressure and the rear springs may need replacement over time to similarly maintain proper pressure. If the springs weaken, the hydraulic system has to compensate by adding more pressure to the system to raise the car. The result is a harsh ride. The globes lose pressure over time and require a larger volume of fluid to displace the vehicle height. This also harshens the ride because you've lost the squishy air and replaced it with incompressible hydraulic fluid. Dealers *should* know all this, but many do not. Some dealers (either maliciously or ignorantly) give customers absurd estimates to replace most the system when all it needs is a 15 minute torsion bar adjustment.

It's a very reliable system that's unfortunately often misunderstood, even by Lexus dealer techs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom