New shocks and steering damper death wobble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys so after installing some 5in shocks on my existing 4inch coils. I decided to get a new steering damper to as my old one was done for, since installing the new tough dog RTC damper I’ve had wobbles... I found a radius arm a little loose and tightened that up, still wobbles. Could it be the new stabiliser is not installed correctly? Any help would be great.
p.s no issues after installing shocks and before I did any work to it

I'd swap the old stabilizer back on just to see if there is any difference, since that was the beginning of your troubles.

Caster somehow changed? Lost a tire weight? (if running any)

I'd swap the old stabilizer back on just to see if there is any difference, since that was the beginning of your troubles.
Good point. I’ll give it a go tomorrow and see if there’s any change and update you all. Lucky I’ve still got it with the original markings for where it needs to be too
Caster somehow changed? Lost a tire weight? (if running any)
got the wheel balance done just the other day, thought that’d be the cause but no

The steering stabilizer won't "fix" a death wobble, it will mask it, but not fix it. Its just a shock absorber.
You need to be looking at all the joints, caster angle, toe-in, steering box to frame joint (look for cracks) etc etc.

I'm no expert, but when I first got my 80 and installed 2.5" lift, the car was all over the road while driving; replaced ALL of the suspension component bushings (OEM) and problem solved- as well as driving (feels like) new again. Old car, old worn-out bushings. I'm surprised that more people don't put suspension bushings at the top of their baseline list. For me it was the best money I spent on it so far...
Hope you get it sorted out!

Your stabilizer has nothing to do with the creation of DWs. Your front suspension is knackered, from the sounds of it. Are your bushings old? If so, replace them all then torque the hardware as shown in the FSM. A properly setup suspension with good components doesn't need any steering stabilizer damper. Furthermore, staring at bushings won't tell you anything. You need to remove the component from the vehicle, stick it on a giant vice, then insert a long rod inside the bushings then twist it this way and that way to see if cracks reveal themselves. Or, if the vehicle has high mileage, just replace them all and be done with it.

As mentioned, check the trunion bearings, wheel bearings, etc for play. DW is the culmination of multiple sloppiness in the system exasperated by lifts and large tires.

While on the topic of torquing hardware, pay particular attention to which hardware to turn on your suspension. Certain bolt flanges and nut flanges are serrated for extra traction so DON'T turn them. Again, look at the FSM for exact pics and directions on how to properly torque your suspension bits. I can't stress this enough!

Perhaps the new steering damper is so firm that it's directing movement to other parts in the front end, pointing out other parts that are worn out, like everyone else said. Probably some other bushings that are toast.

I had death wobble a few months ago. It would come on between 35-45mph. It started after a full bushing replacement and adding caster correcting radius arms. I rechecked my tourqe values and bearings, everything was tight.
I ended up taking it to my local cruiser mechanic, he also saw nothing wrong. But after putting the truck on the lift the death wobble disappeared. It also quieted down a noisy ujoint. I don't know what was wrong but fully drooping the suspension fixed it.

FJ80 DW here at 30-45 in a turn, until i replaced the steering stabilizer OEM, panrod bushings OEM and welded a 2” crack in the panrod upper mount that would open up when you turned the steering wheel to the limits. Check those things. To test the steering stabilizer simply drop one end and push in and out, it should be smooth not ratchety.

Death wobble on my coil-spring trucks was always Panhard bushings - that'd be the first place to start I would think.

It’s been a while, but after doing the swivel hubs and them being absolutely stuffed, new cv’s, new spindles, rotors, pads, old stabiliser taken off before I did the stuff just mentioned seemed to help a lot so the RTC must’nt be set correctly. New tyres to come on this week. Still a lot of stuff I’m going to replace to just make this car even more reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom