new shackle questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some help in getting the right shackles for my 60. I have read some of the old posts that are already on here, but I know that opinions change over time and new technology is comming out everyday. So with that said......
Question 1. What is the advantage in-or do I want to spend the extra money for-anti inversion shackles?
Question 2. Do I want greaseable pins, will it make that much difference?
Question 3. I only want to go up about an 1 1/2. Do I want the front and back shackles to be the same length?
Question 4. Is anyone running the "dogbone" style from MAF. Do you like them?

85 with addaleaf, lockers, and soon 34 LTB swampers, yahoo! "I run the ROCKS fella"!

Itsadryheat!!! said:
I need some help in getting the right shackles for my 60. I have read some of the old posts that are already on here, but I know that opinions change over time and new technology is comming out everyday. So with that said......
Question 1. What is the advantage in-or do I want to spend the extra money for-anti inversion shackles?

If you are going to wheel but not do extreme stuff then is a good
cheap lift and if you ever had to unhook a reversed spring you would think they are worth it.

Yes They are firmer when you are working them hard

Question 3. I only want to go up about an 1 1/2. Do I want the front and back shackles to be the same length?

Ideally thjey should be. Remember a 2inh extension will only give you an inch of lift. The bigger tyres will do the rest.

Most people in Aus use the Superior Drop Shackles I think Someone on the board is importing them into the US
See this thread
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=39098&highlight=superior+drop+shackles

I use the Big Balls shackles on my 60 and they were easy to fit and work well
Good price too!!
http://www.bigballsoffroad.com/prod2856.htm
front.jpg

Itsadryheat!!! said:

85 with addaleaf, lockers, and soon 34 LTB swampers, yahoo! "I run the ROCKS fella"!

1. I have the MAF 4+ anti-inverion shackles in the front. They are greaseable. Anti-inversion keep your springs from inverting and breaking. I got them b/c I got a deal on the lift package I bought. My rears are also the same type of shackle but a different brand. They were not greasable so I ordered greasable bolts to make them.

2. Yes and no. I would say yes b/c to do the shackles right you ought to go ahead and do poly bushings. This will help overall with handling and firming things up. Plus they last better than the stock rubber bushings. (If you have any left. On mine the stock rubber bushings are shot!

3. They are not the same thength. I forget which is longer. Check the MAF site from what I remember they tell you how much lift a certain shackle gives front or rear.

4. Nope, so cant help you there.

Dont forget that if you go too high with shackles you are going to have steering wander. Then you will need to install some shims. There is a good bit of info on here abotu some of the questions you asked. So try and search to find more than I told you. Hope this helped some and post some pics of the cruiser!!

toy60 said:
Itsadryheat!!! said:
If you are going to wheel but not do extreme stuff then is a good
cheap lift and if you ever had to unhook a reversed spring you would think they are worth it.

I'll second that, we had two inverted rear shackles on a snow run up to Iron Mountain Road in Northern CA on a buddy's HJ60 and it was a BITCH to get them back, you definitely want anti-inversion if you're planning to take that thing of road on a regular basis.

Locate your shackle hanger correctly, use the right length spring and the right length shackle, and you won't be able to invert them anyway.

(Generally a longer spring and a longer shackle and a hanger that moves further in toward the other end of the spring will achieve this ideally, but you can usually do it with a combination of two of the three.)

Grease the pins when you put them in, use poly bushing and you won't need greasable pins. They don't have any effect on how the rig perfoms or handles.

If you get a decent length shackle you'll probably find them hard to invert any way. And if you replace the rear then you can put the old rears on the front. they're longer and stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom