New rough idle at start, need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok new development...total mystery to me but maybe some of you smart guys can figure it out. So been trying to track down intermittent idle problem (low RPM and trying to die)...read about a zillion posts...carb, solenoid, fuel pump, EGR, vacuum leak, you name it. Kinda settled on sticking EGR since it was so intermittent...could drive it several days in a row purring like a cat and then boom no idle. Tuesday I drove it to work and when I rolled into parking lot...rough, dying idle. I kind of got frustrated and stomped on the gas to rev it up...boom big backfire from exhaust. And lo and behold idle smoothed right out and has been smooth since then. Maybe a coincidence. Any ideas on why that would have "fixed" the problem??

Just to follow up...problem kept happening intermittently. I decided to try "golf tee fix" for EGR valve. Plugged vacuum line from modulator to EGR with golf tee...running perfect since then..couple of months at least.

Meant to ask all the experts on here...any problem running with EGR bypassed long term? Doesn't seem to pinging under load, although I may need to adjust idle speed a little...seems little to high. Thanks.

BTW: A carburetor rebuild is easier than it seems. You CAN do it.
Agreed. I did it and I have very minimal skills. Just take lots of photos. If nothing else do it to change your gaskets and then run your favorite cleaner (Seafoam or whatever - Jesus Christ, the number of times that auto corrected to seafood nearly gave me an aneurysm). I adore you guys for posting on this forum. I have learned so much and gotten so much confidence from y'all's photos and directions. Thanks for posting.

Agreed. I did it and I have very minimal skills. Just take lots of photos. If nothing else do it to change your gaskets and then run your favorite cleaner (Seafoam or whatever - Jesus Christ, the number of times that auto corrected to seafood nearly gave me an aneurysm). I adore you guys for posting on this forum. I have learned so much and gotten so much confidence from y'all's photos and directions. Thanks for posting.
Y'all give me just enough confidence on all of my projects and I joke with my mechanic (ugh he is worth his weight in gold) that he can charge me an extra $75 every time he has to write "Customer states she tried to do it herself" on my ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom